Changing to a 1password account

aubreyapple
aubreyapple
Community Member

Just signed up for a 1password account. I have an existing vault using dropbox. My new master password for the 1password account does not work for unlocking 1password application, only the old master password I use for the dropbox works. This despite selecting only the new vault to display. Same true on Android as well as MacOS

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: 1password vs. dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:master password

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@aubreyapple - sorry for the confusion! The Master Password that you created long ago for your standalone 1Password data that you've been syncing through Dropbox can be the same one that you used when you created your 1password.com account (and in fact, we recommend you use the same one, provided you've chosen a strong one...but it doesn't have to be. The first Master Password you choose for your 1Password app on your Mac will be the one it always uses, unless you remove the local Primary vault and start over with your 1password.com account as the first vault(s).

If you're trying to migrate your existing 1Password data over into your 1password.com account vaults, we’ve got a great guide for doing that. When you've finished, you can visit Preferences > Advanced and UN-check the box marked "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts" - this will remove your Primary vault and leave you running with just your 1password.com account -- and its Master Password. Let us know how you get on, or if you have any questions! :)

• aubreyapple
    aubreyapple
    Community Member

Thank-you. I will say that is still very confusing to me. I note too, and it seems related, that no matter that I open 1password and disable the 'Primary' (dropbox) vault, next time I open 1password, both vaults are enabled again. It seems that unless I disable a vault I am forced to use them all until I disable them each time I log in. Is that expected behavior? The reason I asked is that I thought that be disabling (not deleting) the dropbox vault, it would then ask me for the Master Password for the new subscription vault.

BTW, the old vault transferred seamlessly to the new one without my interaction. That was desirable for me, perhaps not for everyone.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@aubreyapple - I'm not sure what you mean by "disabling" a vault -- can you clarify? In 1Password for Mac, if you began using it with standalone data, then the Primary vault is always the default, therefore it can't be deleted or otherwise "disabled" -- unless you switch to a 1password.com account and migrate your existing data from your Primary vault to your account's vault(s). It sounds as if you've already done that; if you now no longer need the Primary vault, you can delete it permanently by visiting 1Password's Preferences > Advanced (the gear icon at the top right of the Preferences window) and UN-checking the box titled "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts."

• aubreyapple
    aubreyapple
    Community Member

Thanks againI. am still on the trial license, so I have no desire to delete the 'Primary Vault' yet. It seems like there is no way to select one vault as the one I want to use while keeping the other around without doing it manually. As it is, when I open 1password I get both vaults by default and thus everything is duplicated. I can manually select the vault I want, but I have to do it every time I want to use 1Password. Perhaps I had better just go back to my dropbox vault and cancel the trial. The new paradigm also scares me in all the hoops I have to go thru and the inability to recover data in a personal account vs. a family account. Perhaps it is worse with what I have now but the multi-page descriptions of how to get to my data with the subscription are daunting. If I do decide to keep the subscription, then it looks like I am forced to never have a local vault as I have to disallow creation of 'vaults outside of 1Password accounts' or else that one would become primary it seems.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@aubreyapple - OK, a couple of things: I understand your reluctance to remove your Primary vault, if you're not certain whether you'll be keeping the 1password.com membership (and vaults). However, if you start making changes to either the older Primary vault or the new 1password.com vault, these two will begin to diverge. That means, whenever you decide to either go with the membership or return to the standalone setup (and Primary vault), these two will no longer be identical, and you could risk losing whatever additions/changes/deletions you've made on one by switching to the other.

You'd be much better off by deleting your Primary vault (for now) and using only the 1password.com vaults. If, after 30 days of trial, you decide you want to return to standalone, you can create a new Primary vault, move all your items back into it, and then sign out of your account. That way, you'd retain any/all changes you'd made in the month you were using the 1password.com vault.

To remove your Primary vault (after making sure you've moved all your items into your 1password.com vault, of course), visit 1Password's Preferences > Advanced (the gear icon at the top right of the Preferences window) and UN-check the box labeled "Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts." This will remove the Primary vault. If you decide to return to standalone, re-checking that box later will re-create a new (empty) Primary vault.

• aubreyapple
    aubreyapple
    Community Member

Ok, that makes sense and is pretty clear. I appreciate your patience with me. Clearly all of this is somewhere in the instructions online but it certainly was not obvious to me how to find it (else I would not have been asking all these questions.)

• aubreyapple
    aubreyapple
    Community Member

I unchecked "Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts." and for that machine (MacOS) it worked in the sense that the 'Primary' vault disappeared from 1Password. However, it did not delete the data from Dropbox and that surprised me. I guess I have to do that on all my devices? On Android, I do not seem to have the option under advanced so I still seem to get my 'Primary' vault there. Similarly I do not see how to accomplish this on my iPad.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@aubreyapple - when you delete your Primary vault, you're deleting the SQLite database within 1Password itself. This is different from the .agilekeychain or .opvault file you have stored in Dropbox. To remove that, you can either do it manually (open Dropbox folder either on your Mac's desktop or through Dropbox's web interface) and trash that file - or you can visit Preferences > Sync on another Mac (if you have one), and stop syncing. There will be a pop-up menu that asks if you'd like to delete the data from Dropbox as well.

On iOS and Android, presuming your data were already in sync via Dropbox before you began your 1password.com trial account, you don't need to do that; you can just start over and the next time you launch 1Password, it will be as if you are a new user. Choose to sign into your 1password.com account, and you'll be all set to go, with only your account vaults. Hope that's helpful.

This discussion has been closed.