Two different 1Pwords on two partitions on my iMac?

pjmettam
pjmettam
Community Member

I have two partitions on my iMac. The old one uses 10.6.8 and contains all my work since the early 1990s and a hardly used 1Password 3. The new partition contains El Capitan and a complete copy of my Quicken records. I have more than 150 individual passwords, none on 1Password 3. I presume system requirements have changed for newer 1Passwords. Should I use my 1Pwrd3 to accomodate my passwords now, install a new 1PwrdY on my El Capitan partition and slowly transition my work and passwords to El Capitan? Any advice/suggestions welcomed!

1Password Version: 3.8.22
Extension Version: none
OS Version: os 10.6.8
Sync Type: none

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @pjmettam! Snow Leopard - now that's old school! :)

If you're running El Capitan, then you'll be able to install the current version of 1Password for Mac -- version 6.8.8. However, you will probably need to purchase an upgraded license to be able to use it. In the intervening time since 1Password 3 for Mac was the current version, we've been busy. We now have what are called 1password.com memberships. It uses the same 1Password apps as always (well, the newest version), but data is stored on our secure server, and sync is directly through 1password.com, instead of an advanced, manual method like WLAN or 3rd party API like Dropbox or iCloud. Best of all, a 1password.com membership includes access to ALL our native 1Password apps (not just for Mac, but iOS, Windows, and Android), so you'll always be able to have 1Password with you, no matter what combination of devices you have (or might have in the future).

I'm not quite sure what you meant by "I have more than 150 individual passwords, none on 1Password 3." Does that mean they're just written down somewhere, as in: not in 1Password at all? If so, then yes -- I'd recommend setting up 1Password 6 for Mac on El Capitan. If you want to bring in your 1Password 3 for Mac passwords, let us know and we can help guide you through that.

• pjmettam
    pjmettam
    Community Member

Lars - thank you for your rapid reply! Yes, I am a dinosaur, being not-so-gently nudged into the real world! My 150+ passwords are both in an updated desktop file and printed out. I made a start at adding them to 1Pwrd3, but became quickly discouraged, way back then. I am quite willing to cull them and start over with 1Password 6 for Mac and an 1password.com membership.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2018

@pjmettam - Ah, OK - glad I asked for clarification, then. This should be a lot simpler than I feared it might be. If you've got a text file (or spreadsheet, whatever) on your Mac, then it will be easy to bring that with you to the El Capitan Mac. I'd recommend doing this "organically." What I mean by that is: keep the spreadsheet handy on your El Cap Mac, and use the web as you normally would. But first, head over to the main 1Password sign-up page and create a 1password.com membership. It's got a 30-day free trial, so if you decide you don't like it, you won't be out any money.

Once you've created your account, visit our downloads page and grab a copy of the latest version of 1Password for Mac (well, stable version anyway -- we've got a beta of the upcoming 1Password 7 for Mac out, but for you, let's stick with the released version for now). Install 1Password for Mac and make sure to install the browser extensions as well for all browsers you use.

Then (here's the "organic" part), just keep using the web as you always have. Only now, make sure you launch and unlock 1Password before you start working. Since you have the 1Password browser extension installed, as you login to various sites, 1Password should notice you entering data and offer to save logins it doesn't recognize, as you enter them. After a few weeks or months, you'll likely have most if not all of the logins from the spreadsheet "imported" into 1Password just by doing what you've already been doing.

The only time I'd recommend a different approach would be if you know already that most of these logins are ones you don't use very often and thus won't have much opportunity to capture through 1Password's extension. If that's the case, let me know.

ref: JCB-15556-782

This discussion has been closed.