To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Request: Back button when following links

Options
twilsonco
twilsonco
Community Member

If I click on a linked document in a login, I'm taken to the document itself with no easy way to get back to the original item. This is especially annoying for items that have multiple documents that I want to quickly scan through.

1Password Version: 7.0.BETA-5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.13
Sync Type: 1P

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@twilsonco - I've moved your thread over to Memberships, because what you're describing isn't unique to 1Password for Mac, let alone to the beta of version 7. I hope that's OK.

The reason you're experiencing this behavior is that Documents are not the same thing as Attachments in standalone 1Password. The latter were literally appended directly to the record in question: a photo of your Driver's License, say, that you attached to your Driver's License record was only viewable from within the Details View of the Driver's License record itself. You could search for "Items with Attachments," but it did not exist independently of the record to which it was attached. Delete that record, an you delete the attachment, too.

Documents are the 1password.com replacement for older-style attachments. They are their own items with their own category in the database (Documents), and each one has its own UUID so it can be searched, found, and examined separately from any particular record. You can also attach a single document to as many records as you need/want, which is a huge upgrade from attachments. But you're correct that it does open the Document, when you click on it, and because it's its own record, there's no convenient "back" button.

As a workaround, you could cross-link the document with the other record (Login or whatever) you linked it to. In other words, you link the Document to the Login, so the document shows up in "Related Items" in the Login record. But you could visit the Document, click on Edit and add the Login under "Related Items" there -- which would function as a sort of back button, taking you back to the original Login. Hope that helps!

This discussion has been closed.