Update issue involving Time Machine Backup

sciencefish
sciencefish
Community Member

The usual new update box appeared today and then, then a box appeared saying I had more than one copy of on my machine (attached). In addition to my App folder copy, it picked up my Time Machine backups. I don't want to delete those and break the integrity of my backup. I tried to eject my TC, but discovered that it wasn't connected so imagined it had picked the other copies from a cache somewhere. Sure in the knowledge that the TC wasn't there. I did the update. At the end another box appeared telling me that 1password had connected to the wrong copy! (attached). I now have two copies of 1password mini running (attached). restarting continues to run both copies...

I suspect part of the problem is that my OS is on an external USB disk as my internal disk failed and it's a pain to open up my iMac and replace it. The Internal disk is removed from the boot list and so is effectively invisible (I edited /etc/fstab). I don't think 1password can tell the difference between backed up copies and my App folder copy as they both appear as external disks.

I have had problems with 1password mini not launching in the past 3 months, but put that down to a cranky old iMac. Now I'm not so sure.

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: 4.7
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@sciencefish - yep, you've just experienced exactly why we have those messages there in the first place; so 1Password does not connect to the wrong copy. :)

What I'd recommend at this point is removing all copies that aren't part of your Time Machine backups. Eject the Time Machine disk first, then look for additional copies. Leave behind only the one copy in /Applications. I'd also recommend you edit Time Machine to specifically exclude the 1Password application for the future, so you don't have this problem. If you're using a 1password.com account, your data don't need local backups because there are redundant iterative backups on the 1password.com servers, done automatically for you, and if you are using 1Password in standalone mode, the active data store and all backups are located in a different place (`~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/) than the application itself, so excluding the app from Time Machine backups won't affect backups of your data. Let us know how you get on!

This discussion has been closed.