How do I merge vaults in iCloud

roger199
roger199
Community Member

Hi,

I've had 1Password 6 since it was released and synced my account with iCloud this whole time without any trouble. Recently when chatting with a representitive of 1Password she convinced me to sign up to 1Password.com subscription as I'll get all future updates with the subscription. Its a good deal.

However, I must have done something wrong as my vault seems to have split into two. And as far as I am aware I only use icloud for my sync. On my iMac Late 2015 5K macOS 10.13.4 i can access both vaults but not so on my iPad 12.9 iOS 11.3, or iPhone X iOS 11.3.

Please refer to the picture:

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• roger199
    roger199
    Community Member

1Password 6
    Version 6.8.8 (688002)
    AgileBits Store

• roger199
    roger199
    Community Member

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@roger199: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! The Primary vault is syncing with iCloud. This is a local vault which isn't at all associated with your 1Password.com account. If you sign into you account in your web browser, do you see all of your data there?

https://start.1password.com/vaults/all

If so, you can safely remove the Primary vault by disabling local vaults in Preferences > Advanced. If not, you'll need to copy any items you need from your Primary vault to your account's Personal/Private vault first. Let me know what you find!

• roger199
    roger199
    Community Member

@brenty Thanks for the reply,

One thing I hadn't done on my iDevices was to scan the code on the emergency kit. After I did that both vaults showed up.

Unfortunately, there are about 200 passwords in the primary and personal vaults, 200 each. I don't know why the original split, maybe I did something wrong when setting it up.

It'll take a fair amount of time to copy over those passwords to the personal vault, I assume. Unless that is, you know of an easy way to do it?

Thanks again.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@roger199: Thanks for following up. I'm sorry for the delay. To be sure, do you have different items in the two vaults? Only the Personal/Private vault is associated with your account. If you have everything there you're good to go and probably just forgot to remove the original vault when you migrated the the account. That may help on it's own, but if it's more complicated than that I'm afraid I can't do more than offer some generic advice. After all, it's your data, and only you know what's there, what needs to be kept, and what needs to be gotten rid of. So I can really only offer kind of philosophical or mechanical advice on that count. Let me know what you find. :blush:

• roger199
    roger199
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

@brenty The two vaults have different password. Like I wrote when signing up to the monthly 1password.com account im pretty sure i did something wrong in the process. So, it looks like ill have to manually merge them. There are actually 300 passwords in the personal vault and 180 in the primary vault.

• I’m sorry to hear that. Normally part of the migration process is to delete the Primary vault. The goal is to get everything you want to keep into the Personal vault, and then delete the Primary vault.

Please let us know if there is anything we can help with.

Ben

• roger199
    roger199
    Community Member

@Ben lol I'll copy about 10 or so over a day until its complete, I don't think I have the time or patience to do it all in one sitting. Oh well, these things happen.

• You’re welcome. Let us know how it turns out. :)

Ben

• roger199
    roger199
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

@Ben Well, it turns out in the 1Password 7 Beta for macOS 10.13.5 has on the menu bar "item" and on its dropdown there is an option to "Copy Vault to" or "Move Vault to" ... So I selected "Move Vault to" Primary (iCloud) to Personal" which saved me hours of individually copying the items over. So I hope this post helps anyone else in the future who has a similar issue.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, it's a really handy way to do that if the account migration was skipped for any reason. Cheers! :)

• roger199
    roger199
    Community Member

@brenty I thought to myself there's no way I have time or the will to copy and paste a few hundred login details. So, I looked at every setting, everything in the menu bar and found the setting. I can't tell you how relived I was.

One quick question, apart from printing all saved content, how can I back up the vault so I can use veracrypt to encrpyt the copy on a USB drive?

• @brenty I thought to myself there's no way I have time or the will to copy and paste a few hundred login details. So, I looked at every setting, everything in the menu bar and found the setting. I can't tell you how relived I was.

I’m glad to hear that worked out.

One quick question, apart from printing all saved content, how can I back up the vault so I can use veracrypt to encrpyt the copy on a USB drive?

1Password for Mac automatically makes encrypted backups. For 1Password 7 these backups are stored here:

~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password/Data

Ben

• roger199
    roger199
    Community Member

@Ben Thank you very much :-)

• You’re very welcome. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.