Changed my Secret key, I can log into the App, but not the website with the new key.

JohnC2F
JohnC2F
Community Member

I changed my Secret Key, I was able to successfully log into the Application on Mac, but am unable to log into the web application to manage vaults and users with the new secret key and my password.

1Password Version: Web
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.13.3
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:Changed my Secret key, I can log into the App, but not the website

Comments

• JohnC2F
    JohnC2F
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

Can anybody please help with this? I'm the administrator, I can't manage vaults from the Mac App and cannot log into the Web interface.

• JohnC2F
    JohnC2F
    Community Member

I tried in Chrome and was able to log in. Problem seems to be with Safari. I deleted all 1password info from keychain to see if that would help. Didn't work.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@JohnC2F - glad to hear you were able to get back into your account in Chrome, and sorry for the delay in our replies here. In the wake of releasing 1Password 7 for Windows beta, 1Password 7 for Mac beta and 1Password Business, we've been a little swamped and response times have suffered accordingly. Thanks for your patience.

With respect to Safari, I would recommend that you click the link on the bottom of the page that says "Sign into a different account." Safari (and other browsers) store your Secret Key in persistent memory within the browser itself, so that 1Password can function in a browser like it does in the apps: requiring only your Master Password to unlock, not both pieces of information ( Master Password AND Secret Key). What that means is that for any given 1Password.com sign-in domain (whether it's https://my.1password.com for individual accounts or https://your-chosen-name.1password.com for a 1Password Families or 1Password Teams account), 1Password will remember the previous data...which will prevent you from signing in with a changed Secret Key because the previous one's still store (but not displayed). That's why you need to click "Sign into a different account," then go through the process of signing in again with the new Secret Key as if it was your first time. From then on, the new Secret Key will be the one that's saved in browser memory. Let us know how that works for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.