1PWX working on FF59.02 Mac

Out of curiosity. I managed to get 1PWX working on MacOS with FF59.02 is it normal?
Does not work for Windows or Linux. I installed it first on 60 on MacOS in case that matters.

Just curious what the explanation for this behaviour might be?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Fooligan
    Fooligan
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

I could not get the extension to work on Ubuntu 16.04 or 18.04 (using FF 59). I had to upgrade to FF60. The extension would try to register when logging into my 1Password account on line, but it would ultimately hang when opening the pop-up.

Edit: Clarified which version of FF did not work.

• binaranomaly
    binaranomaly
    Community Member

@Fooligan Yep, exact same behavior here with Windows 10 and Debian 9 but not on MacOS. Curious why...

• Huh. That's surprising. Firefox 60 had some important changes in it for Promises that we depend upon.

• binaranomaly
    binaranomaly
    Community Member

@dteare Then it might have something to do with that I initially had ff60 installed. Setup 1pwx on ff60, setup 1pwx on ff59 and removed ff60 afterwards? So maybe Ff60 features were only needed for setup/bootstrap? I can add a screenshot of it working if desired.

• binaranomaly
    binaranomaly
    Community Member

• binaranomaly
    binaranomaly
    Community Member

Checking it again, password filling works but 1PWX seems out of synch. Luckily it's not long until FF60 public release (2018-05-09 https://wiki.mozilla.org/Release_Management/Calendar)

• Fooligan
    Fooligan
    Community Member

@binaranomaly I would expect erratic behavior in FF59 based on @dteare's explanation. It seems that AgileBits are using Promises to guarantee certain asynchronous javascript events.

• Hi @Fooligan,

That's right. Specifically, we're relying on microtasks — asynchronous events that are even lower level than Promises or callbacks. Until Firefox 60, there was a bug where microtasks executed out of order, which prevented our database code from working at all.

That explains why you get different, but still broken, behaviour if you set up 1Password X in Firefox 60 beta and then revert to version 59. The database was properly set up in version 60, so the extension can load, but any ongoing communication is out of sync.

In case it needs to be said: I strongly recommend against trying to use 1Password X in Firefox 59. The behaviour is unpredictable and could possibly even lead to data corruption.

-Mitch

• binaranomaly
    binaranomaly
    Community Member

@Mitch Thanks for the info that explains it. I have a backup but may still remove it.

• Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation, @Mitch. I didn't realize that Firefox and Firefox beta share the same Application Support folder. That's actually pretty cool as it means I'll be able to switch back and forth between them without losing all my settings. That is once Firefox 60 gets to the stable channel anyway. 🙂

This discussion has been closed.