Hello, How can I removed a pdf attachment from an item in 1Password?

rob_tracy
rob_tracy
Community Member

I have a pdf file attached to one of my 1Password items. I want to remove that item so I can replace it with another (updated) pdf, without having to delete the item and create it again.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Hello, How can I removed a pdf attachment from an item in 1Password?

Comments

• rob_tracy
    rob_tracy
    Community Member

Is it advisable to attach other (outside) files to items in 1password; or should that be done only with other related items already existing within 1password?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@rob_tracy -- thanks for the question. If you're using standalone 1Password, you'll have direct attachments. If you're using a 1password.com account, it's Documents instead of direct attachments. But in both cases, 1Password is great for storing a small number of important documents. I say "small number," because 1Password is an encrypted database; it's not designed as a filing system for large amounts of data, and in fact can potentially become unwieldy if too many outside files are stored in the database structure.

Equally important, the files are encrypted at the point that you attach or upload them. From then on, if you "open" any such attachment or Document, you'll really be opening a local copy. So any changes/additions/deletions you make will NOT be "re-saved" to the encrypted copy in 1Password. In order to save changes to the copy stored/encrypted in 1Password, you would need to open the document, make your edits, save the document locally in whatever application you're using to edit (Word, Excel, whatever). Then you'd need to remove the (old) item from 1Password, and re-attach (or re-upload) the newer, edited version.

To answer your question, it's perfectly fine to attach or upload "outside" files to 1Password -- that's what the feature is FOR. But 1Password is a vault, not an editor: you need to remove the item, make changes, then put the NEW item back. Hope that's helpful. :)

• rob_tracy
    rob_tracy
    Community Member

Thanks, Lars for the clarification. Helps a lot.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@rob_tracy - glad I could help! :)

This discussion has been closed.