Feature request: right-click field autofill

Options

Hiya,

Here's a feature request:

• Right-click on an input or text field in browser and open 1Password
  • Right-click an item to bring up details and click one
  • Instead of copying the detail to the clipboard, fill it into the field

Opening 1Password by right-clicking the page somewhere that's not a field would then copy the detail to clipboard, of course.

I find myself entering access tokens, one-time passwords and alternative passwords this way. This would remove one Ctrl-V from the current method. (Granted, I could edit web form details to make 1PW detect and fill these special fields for me, but I think that's pretty advanced.)

I can't think of any UX/security drawbacks or technical obstacles – can you guys? :)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @neonb,

It's not a bad idea, especially if it worked for custom fields in the 1Password item as they represent data that doesn't get used during filling. The technical obstacle that exists mostly relate to the chain of design decisions that go back as far as 1Password 3 for Mac; how the various components pass information, what they pass and the fact that everything needed to be backwards compatible. It tends to make things a bit tricker but that doesn't take away from the usefulness of the suggestion.

• dzaring
    dzaring
    Community Member
    Options

I've got a similar problem. I'm a ham radio operator. Web sites are asking form my call sign. I'd like to be able to add this information to an "Identity" and auto fill.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dzaring,

Since my post we've released 1Password 7. If you happen to be a Mac user and you're running 1Password 7 there's a neat drag and drop feature you might find useful.

(screenshot from WHAT'S NEW: 1Password 7 for Mac

Even if the original idea was implemented it wouldn't allow for fields to become part of the standard fill command. Credit Card and Identity item filling requires prior knowledge of the field with various details about what the field looks like. All of that information is hardcoded inside of 1Password and is what allows filling of the default fields for those two categories.

This discussion has been closed.