How do I fix keyboard focus for a quick login?

Options

When using Safari, I open up a new blank window, hit Cmd-\, select the login and then hit enter. 1P goes to the site and fills in my email and password just fine. (I have "Automatically sign in after filling usernames and passwords" intentionally turned off.)

At this point, I used to be able to review the page and hit enter and it would log me in. Now, when I hit enter, the page refreshes.

Looking carefully, I see that the keyboard focus remains on the top location bar after filling in the credentials; hitting enter refreshes as if I just typed the URL.

My solution is to hit tab one more time after the credentials fill in, and then hit enter to proceed with the login.

Is there a bug or is there a setting that I missed that could get the keyboard focus back onto the credentials?

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.8.8 (688002) AgileBits Store
Extension Version: Safari 4.7.0
OS Version: OS X 10.13.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2019
    Options

Hi @sunrocktree,

It seems to be a change in Safari's behaviour. I stumbled upon a VM that happened to have Safari 11.0.1 and my own Mac has 11.1. With the same extension in each where focus is left after open-and-fill differs. I'm trying to pin down precisely where but the end result is Safari is leaving focus on the address bar where it previously didn't. So it isn't a setting you've missed but at the moment I can't tell if it's a bug or an intended change to the browser behaviour that we need to try and figure out. Just to make it more challenging, we do have code to stop submit if focus is on the address bar but this check doesn't work in Safari it seems - only Firefox and Chromium based browsers. Never a dull day and I do apologise that I don't have a good answer for you at the moment.

ref: xplatform/filling-issues#156

• sunrocktree
    sunrocktree
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for looking into this - and thanks for your answer! I'm quite happy with 1Password and I appreciate the thoroughness and transparency of the answer.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you @sunrocktree, I do believe explaining the why is important even if it's a shortcoming in 1Password. I personally find many things are easier to tolerate if you know the why and I believe most people are the same. If I can offer an explanation I certainly try or I will at least hold my hands up and say that I don't know. I see you've posted another query, hopefully I can do the same there :smile:

This discussion has been closed.