Would love to have a AgileBits FileHost-Sync-Service!

Damnatus
Damnatus
Community Member
edited April 2018 in Lounge

Hi Folks from AgileBits,

I just had an idea and apparently no one has talked about it: create a FileHost-Service!
(tbh: (file) sync (service) has thrown a lot of results, but filehost hasn't)
I know that there are some out there with no knowledge policy. But I have tried several and wasn't satisfied. Some are clunky, others expensive.

I think that you have the know-how to create a no-knowledge sync service that is secure, fast, reliable, comfortable and reasonable priced. It's just something I want to share with you.

And I'm sure you have thought about it somwhere along the line. How about 1Vault, 1Share, 1Sync?

Same approach as your 1Password Service offer. I think the technology is there and I'm sure there is something, something challenging on maximum file size or delta sync, but that wouldn't stop you, right?

Best,
Damnatus

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Damnatus: It sounds like you're thinking of something other than like what Dropbox offers, but I'm not quite sure what you mean by "file host sync service". You mean like...Mega or whatever else there was? Like, a public-facing filesharing website? If so, we don't have any plans for that, and I think it's unlikely we'd go that route. It could be messy, and not only do we really enjoy working on 1Password, there is so much more we want to do with it than we have time to. So for now we want to focus on that instead of getting distracted with other things. Thanks for the suggestion though! :)

• Damnatus
    Damnatus
    Community Member

It is something like Dropbox what I have had in mind, yeah. Not Mega. I'm sorry, I wasn't clear enough.

I have tried SpiderOak, Sync.com and TresorIT as alternatives to Dropbox because of their no-knowledge policy. But they weren't as sleek as Dropbox.

I look forward to what your working on 1PW. Version 7 looks quite nice on Mac and PC. :chuffed:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It is something like Dropbox what I have had in mind, yeah. Not Mega. I'm sorry, I wasn't clear enough.

@Damnatus: Ah, gotcha. Thanks for clarifying! That's slightly less scary. :lol:

I have tried SpiderOak, Sync.com and TresorIT as alternatives to Dropbox because of their no-knowledge policy. But they weren't as sleek as Dropbox.

I hear you. Hmm. 1Password.com was very much purpose-built for syncing 1Password data, so it's not quite a natural fit — at least not in its current form. You can do some similar stuff by sharing Documents in a family or team setting...but I wonder if it might be enough for you to be able to do that between accounts. It's a hard technical problem, but maybe we can figure out a way to make that possible down the road.

However, once we get into dealing with stuff that needs to be accessible via the filesystem things can get pretty messy, both with regard to security and usability. Dropbox has done well in this area because it's all they do, and have been doing it nearly as long as we have. I'm not sure that's something we could tackle even if we wanted to for the foreseeable future.

I look forward to what your working on 1PW. Version 7 looks quite nice on Mac and PC. :chuffed:

Thanks so much! We are too. There's a lot we're looking forward to getting out there for everyone to enjoy. :chuffed:

• Damnatus
    Damnatus
    Community Member

You can do some similar stuff by sharing Documents in a family or team setting...but I wonder if it might be enough for you to be able to do that between accounts.

Not really, unfortunatly. I use Dropbox primarily to sync my academic stuff across devices as well as using it as another backup solution for more important documents (despite local backups and 1PW for the critical stuff). But I would like to have a frictionless no-knowledge sync provider as I don't like that what I'm doing is potentially readable by third parties.

And that was where my after midnight thought crossed my mind, that it may be something AgileBits could do.

However, once we get into dealing with stuff that needs to be accessible via the filesystem things can get pretty messy, both with regard to security and usability.

It is absolutly clear, that this is a major effort. I'm speaking just for me, but it is not important for me, that the files have to be stored encrypted on my loval machine. But as soon as they leave it, it should be enrypted securely, transferred over encrypted channels and rest encrypted on the provider's server, too. Interesting part is possible sync conflicts, but I'll leave that up to you ;)

I thought, that with technology as SRP it could be even possible to have a web version of it, which can give you access, while the provider (e.g. AgileBits) don't has it. My initial thought also was, that your backend technology is at least robust enough to be able to adapt it for a file sync service.

I'm an outsider and also no trained IT, so I have no real depth into analyzing all the technical horror scenarios and breaking points. But I think there is another use case for what you have created, from which could you profit, while delivering a service distinct enough to stand alone, but still fits your overall company profile. And yes, I try to pitch you this idea shamelessly for my personal needs :chuffed:

So maybe, if you have the time and ressources free in a not so far away future, you open up a drawer and say "All right folx, let's do this". :D

Best,
    Romy

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Not really, unfortunatly. I use Dropbox primarily to sync my academic stuff across devices as well as using it as another backup solution for more important documents (despite local backups and 1PW for the critical stuff). But I would like to have a frictionless no-knowledge sync provider as I don't like that what I'm doing is potentially readable by third parties. And that was where my after midnight thought crossed my mind, that it may be something AgileBits could do.

@Damnatus: Gotcha. That makes sense. I'm not sure it's a viable option for us at this stage, or that it ever will be, but it's something we'll continue to evaluate. :)

I think we're on the same page with the rest as well, but I wanted to highlight this in particular:

And yes, I try to pitch you this idea shamelessly for my personal needs :chuffed:

Indeed, and that's pretty much how 1Password exists at all, and in the form it does today. We make the kind of password manager we want to not only share with the world, but also use use ourselves; and perhaps we'll branch out more in the future when we feel like we want to have something like this but done our own way. Thanks for sharing your needs with us as well! :chuffed:

• AlwaysSortaCurious
    AlwaysSortaCurious
    Community Member

No or limited knowledge.... sharing wouldn’t be so easy, it I guess that’s the point... what about encrypted files stored in the provider of your choice? Cryptomator (mostly free) and boxcryptor (not zero knowledge, but easy to use, limited free, full fee).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, Boxcryptor is what a number of us here use for secure file storage that can be accessed across platforms. :)

• AlwaysSortaCurious
    AlwaysSortaCurious
    Community Member

I used cryptomator for a while, but it does this WebDAV Mount that messed with one of my programs (a conf file from Royal TS) that I expressly wanted encrypted because of the content. Boxcryptor played nice, and honestly, I like how all your encrypted files shares (whatever they are) show up under the same drive letter. I use idrive and google and they are both under the same drive letter and I can keep it consistent across windows platforms at least. (The software dependent folder paths).

• I can see how having consistency in drive lettering across computers would be pretty handy. :+1:

Ben

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

Hi

Apart from Dropbox, which is nearly universal across platforms:

Apple has iCloud.
    Android has G Drive.
    Windows has OneDrive.

What I'm not seeing 1Password's ability to sync without Dropbox to another platform. For example, 1Password for iOS cannot sync to Google Drive or OneDrive, for those of us wanting to leave Dropbox local sync but can't. I am not even certain at this point if 1Password 7 for Window Beta will support OneDrive?

Agilebits could fill in the gap here.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@wkleem: 1Password.com ;)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

1Password.com ;)

I am a subscriber but 1Passwotd.com won’t help non subscribers. Or those undecided on the subscription model.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@wkleem: That's like saying "Apple devices are great, but they don't help people who don't buy them." Sort of a non-sequitur. We can't choose for people, but the option is available for everyone. We also already have multiple other sync methods supported in 1Password for years now, which are supported and well-tested. We're not going to be able to be all things to all people, and frankly it sucks when our customers have trouble with those and there isn't anything we can do to fix it. That's why 1Password.com exists: to offer a better experience, and, where there's trouble, we can resolve it ourselves. So that's where we're going to focus our efforts. :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

@brenty,

Got it! Thanks for clarifying.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

No problem! :) :+1:

• Damnatus
    Damnatus
    Community Member

Didn't check in here for a while. Upps :D

Cryptomator (mostly free) and boxcryptor (not zero knowledge, but easy to use, limited free, full fee).

I've checked these awhile ago for folks working with personal data in university contexts. It's a good reminder to look at them again for personal usage evaluation. But it's still a on-top-service and not integrated.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

That's a good point, but for the most part I forget that Boxcryptor is 1) a thing I had to install separately and 2) an "on top" service; it's pretty seamless for my use — hence me forgetting to even mention it at first. :)

This discussion has been closed.