Newbie q's : Family account, multiple people, multiple apps

Karen_Lunney
Karen_Lunney
Community Member

Hi,
Just trying to get my head around all this...

I'm looking at a family account, and trying to work out how best to use it.
We have 2 adults and 2 children, primary and pre primary aged in our house. I have a mum who often needs IT support and could also use 1Password.
We have multiple email addresses amongst us, including work and personal.

1) Can I add my mother to our family account if she lives elsewhere has a different email address? If I do, how much control does she have over her section? How much can I help her out (As her unofficial IT support person, living interstate!), and how much control would she have over our section (including potential to stuff it all up!)

2) How does it work when multiple family members use the same app - e.g. facebook - and remembering passwords for that?

3) If I have multiple facebook accounts/personas (personal, work, online selling), can I attach them all?

4) How do people manage work and home accounts? Are "work me" and "home me" considered "2" people on a family account?

Thanks
K

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows, android and IOS
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Just trying to get my head around all this...

@Karen_Lunney: Sure thing! Glad you got in touch. Happy to help. :)

I'm looking at a family account, and trying to work out how best to use it. We have 2 adults and 2 children, primary and pre primary aged in our house. I have a mum who often needs IT support and could also use 1Password. We have multiple email addresses amongst us, including work and personal.

I know you haven't actually asked a question yet, but I'll jump in here quick because I can already tell you that you're going to be glad to have the ability to help your loved ones recover their accounts if needed:

Recover accounts for family or team members

Definitely check it out. I know that's helped a lot of people in our position, as the family helpdesk. ;)

1) Can I add my mother to our family account if she lives elsewhere has a different email address?

Absolutely! We don't dictate who you include in your family, and frankly the further away she is the more she may need an easy way to use 1Password.

If I do, how much control does she have over her section?

If you invite her as a "regular" family member, she'll have her own Private vault (which no one else can access) and access to any vaults you share with her. If you prefer though, you could invite her as a guest, and she will only have access to a single vault you share with her. That can be helpful if she (or others) needs your help managing her data.

How much can I help her out (As her unofficial IT support person, living interstate!), and how much control would she have over our section (including potential to stuff it all up!)

I think that the guest option and account recovery may help a lot, but let me know if you have any other questions.

2) How does it work when multiple family members use the same app - e.g. facebook - and remembering passwords for that?

Each person will likely keep their own personal login credentials for a site like that in their Private vault, so no one else will have access to it in that case.

3) If I have multiple facebook accounts/personas (personal, work, online selling), can I attach them all?

You can save as many Logins as you want for any site you want. I only have one for Facebook, but I have a ton for Google and Apple. It's really up to you.

4) How do people manage work and home accounts? Are "work me" and "home me" considered "2" people on a family account?

I know some people do that. Others just use separate vaults. Just keep in mind that any other people you make a family Organizer (I'm assuming you'll be the first) will be able to assign vault permissions too. So keeping work stuff in your Private vault or using a separate user account might be a good idea.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Karen_Lunney
    Karen_Lunney
    Community Member

Thanks so much, that really helps :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome! It's definitely a lot to digest, so don't hesitate to ask if you have followup questions — or anything else that comes up. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.