1Password not supplying member number (username) for https://www.cafcu.org, how to fix?

On both Safari and Firefox, 1Password does not fill in the required member number (this is the username) to the https://www.cafcu.org login page. I've tried the "save as new login" technique but only the password is saved in 1Password. The member number is not saved so I always have to enter it manually. How can I fix this? Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: 4.7.0
OS Version: OS X 10.12.6
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:cafcu

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dasrave,

It will sound odd but can you try saving a Login item using those manual steps you found, the ones at How to save a Login manually in your browser and then try filling even though it doesn't seem to have saved your username. Do you find that an unaltered Login item does fill both fields even if you didn't think it would? The use of the password field for the username is throwing 1Password off balance. It does correctly save the field, at least in my own testing, it just doesn't realise it flag that field as the username.

If your findings match mine, which they hopefully will, we can tweak the Login item so it correctly displays your username whilst correctly filling both fields. Instead of editing and adding a username what you will want to do is edit the Login item and then click the show web form details button. In there you will see a silhouette of a key which is how 1Password designates a particular field as being the password. In the equivalent area for the field above that click and select the silhouette of the person. Now save this change. Your username should appear above your password when viewing and also correctly fill. What we did was to correct 1Password and say "this field represents my username" whilst adding a username to the Login item causes certain behaviour in 1Password that I won't bore you with unless you're curious.

• dasrave
    dasrave
    Community Member

No, after manually filling in fields on login page and saving as new login, the unaltered Login item does not fill in both fields. It only fills in the pw field. The password field has the correct pw and there is a username field but it is empty. It is not using the password for the username field.

I also tried your suggested fix but that didn't work either. When I show web form details I do see a Field labeled IUO_Password that looks correct with the pw. It also has a label IUO_Name that has the correct member number. I tried adding the person silhouette which does populate the username in the login item with the member number, but it still does not fill in the member number on the web page.

• dasrave
    dasrave
    Community Member

Also, why is this post marked "Closed"? And how do I keep it open until the issue is addressed? Thanks

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dasrave - the post isn't closed as far as I can see -- perhaps refresh your browser?

I'm also unsure what the problem was with your saved login, as this worked quite well for me in Firefox, using 1Password for Mac 6.8.8 and the stable version of the 1Password extension (4.7.90). Filling this saved login resulted in both the "online account access" number (username) and the password being correctly filled and submitted. Can you try saving the login manually one more time? Make sure that both fields are correctly filled in before choosing "Save new login" from the Advanced menu. Let me know how it goes!

• dasrave
    dasrave
    Community Member

No idea why I see it closed then. Anyway, I do see the updates within the thread.

So trying the manual process again.
    1. point browser to https://www.cafcu.org/
    2. manually enter username (member number), password but do not submit
    3. in 1passwd save new login
    4. in the new login it only has the password field filled in. It does have the username label but the field is empty. (see attached image)

• dasrave
    dasrave
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

So continuing with the other suggest to modify the web form details:
    5. in the new login, show web form details
    6. add person silhouette to IUO_Name field and change Password to Text
    image removed by AgileBits
    7. click Save
    8. Now new login does show the username field above populated with the member number.
    However, it still does not fill in that field on the web page. It only fills in the passwd.

Next steps?
    thanks

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dasrave,

Changing the field type will stop filling from working, 1Password needs to know that this is a password field even if we're saying it holds the username.

This is what my test Login item looks like.

All I've done is flag the correct field, I haven't changed anything else about it. Even before doing this though, 1Password would correctly fill both fields for me, all this change does is ensure the username is now visible when viewing the item.

It isn't clear why this isn't working for you as it should given all the tests we've attempt here. Just so that we're not missing something, are these the steps you're using?

1. You launch Firefox.
    2. You load the page https://www.cafcu.org/
    3. Both fields are initially empty.
    4. You instruct 1Password to fill.
    5. It only fills the password field, even with a brand new Login item, unedited in any way.
  • dasrave
    dasrave
    Community Member

Update with new behavior -
    So I tried all of this again on a diff computer running High Sierra, but same 1passwd versions. This time what you tried,
    just manually entering the fields, save new login, worked as are you seeing. The only change I make after creating the new login is to set the submit policy to "never submit" so I can test filling in the fields without then trying to login to the site. This now fills in both fields when after saving the new login I then clear the fields and then select the new login from 1Password. That was encouraging...

BUT (big but here)

If I then close the web page, and try to then select the new login from the 1passwd browser ext, it reverts back to the behavior of not supplying the username (mem no.)! This is very reproducible. Save new login, clear web page fields, select new login, both username/pw are filled in. Then close tab with web page, bring up new login in 1passwd and again only passwd filled is automatically filled in. No username.

Please try this addition test of then letting 1passwd open this web page and see if you reproduce this behavior. Thanks!

• @dasrave: I actually see the same thing myself on Windows and I had a theory for a few seconds, but it didn't work out. It's actually not universal with whether closing and opening the tab breaks things right away for me, but it happens eventually every time. Even refreshing the page makes the username stop filling most of the time. The form is a bit oddly designed, but that's a bit outside my wheelhouse here. I can confirm your steps to reproduce, though, and will tag @littlebobbytables back in here so he is sure to see this. Hopefully he can reproduce with your steps as well and, if not, I can lend a hand. :chuffed:

• dasrave
    dasrave
    Community Member

Thanks for confirming!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Likewise, thanks for your patience and willingness to work with us on this. :)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2018

Hello @dasrave,

It seems the site is using dynamically generated IDs for a couple of fields but they don't seem to alter automatically after a refresh of the page. I'm guessing there is so some sort window where it remains the same and it just happened that all the testing we were performing fell within that window. Normally you find refreshing the page is sufficient to have new IDs generated. Now that I compare an item created from a couple of days ago with one from today I see the difference (well after looking at the underlying item).

See if you find the following offers more consistent filling while we work on tweaking 1Password so that it understands the weird little things the site does.

1. Here is a link to a 1PIF (1Password Interchange Format) file for CAFCU . Please save this to your Desktop.
    2. In 1Password, use the menu option File > Import...
    3. In the dialog that pops up select the Other option from the list of data locations.
    4. Click on the Import a 1PIF File option.
    5. Click the Select File... button and select the 1PIF you saved to the desktop in step 1.
    6. Click the View Imported Items button.
    7. Edit the Login item and replace the placeholder values for the username and password with your real account credentials. You won't need to alter anything in the web form details.
    8. Save.
  • dasrave
    dasrave
    Community Member

After step 5, I get the error "Could not read items from file. Check import format.". So not able to get to step 6. Also, seems there should be more steps after step 6? Thanks

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @dasrave,

You would think by 12:30 I would have been suitably awake or at the very least have drank enough coffee to mimic being awake but clearly not. The URL had an extra / and so what you saved would have been an error message rather than the actual file I tried to link you to and yes, there were a couple of missing steps at the end about editing the Login item and replacing the placeholder username and password with your real details. I've edited my previous post so that the URL is now correct and it has steps 7 & 8. Hopefully it works a bit better this time :smile:

• dasrave
    dasrave
    Community Member

That is working! Thanks

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

You should find this one doesn't stop working due to the those fields with dynamically generated IDs either so please do let me know if it stops working for you at any point.

• dasrave
    dasrave
    Community Member

Will do. Thanks for the great support!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for bearing with us while we figured out all the gotchas specific to this site :smile:

This discussion has been closed.