Had to reformat my computer, have tp sign back into the iPassword with a security key-can't find it

jeremydeweerdt
jeremydeweerdt
Community Member

Had to reformat my computer, have tp sign back into the iPassword with a security key-can't find it.

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Had to reformat my computer, have tp sign back into the iPassword with a security key-can't find it

Comments

• Hi @jeremydeweerdt

Thanks for taking the time to write in. You had originally posted this question in the iOS category, but it sounds like you may be referring to 1Password for Mac? I’ve moved this over to the Mac category. :)

You’ll only have a Secret Key if you have a 1Password membership (subscription). If you don’t you won’t, and you’ll need to select one of the other options on the welcome screen besides the 1Password account option.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• jeremydeweerdt
    jeremydeweerdt
    Community Member

I'm not sure if I have a subscription or not. I have a license from Dec 6, 2015. I use 1Password every day but when Apple Genius Bar wiped my MacBook, it literally wiped everything. I cannot find emails from you guys for updates or anything. So when I click sync with iCloud, it says there is no vault. I don't want to set up a new one because all my passwords are in my existing 1Password. Any direction?

• jeremydeweerdt
    jeremydeweerdt
    Community Member

And yes, we are talking about 1Password for Mac

• @jeremydeweerdt

Licenses are different from subscriptions. With a license your data is by default stored only on the device you enter it on. You are responsible for setting up sync and backups. With a membership sync and backups are handled automatically by 1Password.com. If you had not set up sync or backups and the Genius Bar erased your hard drive then they would’ve erased your only copy of your 1Password data as well.

Do you have a backup of the computer, using Time Machine perhaps?

Ben

• jeremydeweerdt
    jeremydeweerdt
    Community Member

Makes sense. I do have a back up on my Time Capsule at home. Is there a way to upgrade my 1Password account to a subscription
    once I do get things up and running?

• Absolutely. Please reach out to our sales team at sales@1password.com with a link to this thread (https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/89457/) to discuss that further. If you have a copy of your license please include that with the email, but no big deal if not.

If you need help recovering from the Time Machine backup off the Time Capsule please let us know.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.