Master Password for Deleting Primary vault

chering
chering
Community Member
edited May 2018 in Mac

I cannot delete primary vault which was synced with iCloud, because the required master password seems to be wrong. I have moved all data to 1password.com

Sorted it out: It needed first the password for opening 1password on the mac and then it asked for the new master password for my 1password.com

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:moved to 1password.com delete old primary vault cannot find master passwo

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018

Ah, glad you were able to get it sorted. :)

In case it helps anyone else in the future, it is also possible to delete the data in iCloud if it's an old vault which you want to replace with your current data (to which you presumably know the Master Password):

Mac: Open and unlock 1Password, then choose 1Password > Preferences. Click Sync, select your Primary vault, and set “Sync Primary vault with” to None.

iOS: Open and unlock 1Password, then tap Settings > Sync > Sync Service > Disable Sync.

Cheers! :)

• klabenz
    klabenz
    Community Member

I am having the same problem, but I don't understand the answer. I am trying to delete my primary vault on OS. My mac only has the Personal subscription vault. I moved everything out of my primary vault but it won't let me delete it with my master password.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Hi @klabenz are you sure you are entering the proper Master Password? The password for the old Primary vault and for your 1Password membership could be different things.

• klabenz
    klabenz
    Community Member

If they are different passwords, I don't know the old one. Is there anything I can do?

• @klabenz You only need the Master Password for your 1Password account. That's what 1Password for Mac should be asking for. Do you happen to have the Emergency Kit for your account? If you signed up in a browser, you would have been asked to save it and write your Master Password in the space provided. I'd suggest looking in your downloads folder or somewhere you may have stored it safely on your computer.

• klabenz
    klabenz
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

My master password doesn’t work for deleting the vault. The vault is only on OS.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@klabenz - you will need to provide the Master Password you were most-recently using when you were in standalone-only mode (with your Primary vault). That's what's needed to delete your Primary vault, not the Master Password you used when you signed up for your 1password.com membership. The two might be the same, but they don't have to be. Do you remember what your previous Master Password was?

• klabenz
    klabenz
    Community Member

No, I don't have my previous master password. :(

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@klabenz - Suspected that might be the case. However, don't worry: we've still got you covered. All you'll need to do is start over on your Mac. Make sure you've got your new (1password.com account) Master Password, as well as your Secret Key, then follow those instructions and start over. Once you re-launch 1Password, sign in with your account, and you should be all set! :)

• klabenz
    klabenz
    Community Member

Thanks!

• Hey there @klabenz. Before you start over, make sure you download your Emergency Kit by clicking on the Account menu and choosing Get Emergency Kit….

• klabenz
    klabenz
    Community Member

Will do - thank you!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@klabenz - let us know if you run into any further issues; you should be all set to go, however! :)

This discussion has been closed.