Business 1password unlocks personal vault?

kurtd
kurtd
Community Member

I'm testing out business accounts and have a trial. The business account is through the cloud and I have a personal vault through dropbox. When I open 1password 7, there is no indication as to which master password it wants but it only accepts my business password and after entering it in, it unlocks my personal vault as well. Why is this happening? I expect my personal vault to require it's own password.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @kurtd,

Here is how 1Password handles unlocking:

• If a Primary vault (standalone vault) exists the Master Password for the Primary vault will unlock 1Password
    • If a single 1Password membership has been added then 1Password unlocks using the Master Password associated with that membership account
    • When multiple 1Password memberships have been added 1Password unlocks using the Master Password of the first added membership

1Password only ever acccepts one Master Password. All memberships / vaults are unlocked when 1Password unlocks. I hope that helps!

Ben

• kurtd
    kurtd
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

Thanks for the explanation although I'm not happy with the functionality. I think work and personal should be separate vaults with separate passwords.

Work could reset your master password since they have access to your email address and then they would gain access to your personal vault as well?

There's also many times when I don't need or want them both unlocked, seems to be less secure this way. while at work, I rarely need to access my personal vault. While at home, I rarely need to access my work vault.

• @kurtd :

Work could reset your master password since they have access to your email address and then they would gain access to your personal vault as well?

Not quite no. You have control over this. You stated that your personal vault (Primary) is synced via Dropbox. In that case 1Password will always unlock based on your Primary vault's Master Password. Even if work was to reset your work account's Master Password, it could not be used for unlocking 1Password on your Mac based on your described setup.

If you have different Master Passwords for your Dropbox synced vault and your work 1Password account and 1Password is unlocking with the work 1Password account password then I suspect that something isn't configured as you're stating it is.

Rick

• kurtd
    kurtd
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

I don't know which one is my "Primary". I have a business trial account which I first added to 1Password 7. I then used 1Password 7 to open my 1Password v4 vault located on dropbox. At that point, it converted my personal vault to the newer version. They both work fine but my work password unlocks both. I'm using Windows 10, never owned a Mac. If I have control, how do I change it?

That's on my work PC. At home, I haven't added the business account yet so at home I still need to use my personal 1password to unlock my personal vault. Afraid to add business account to that PC as I don't want 1password for both accounts.

• ah... sorry, that's my fault for making assumptions.

In that case you'll want to do a complete reset of 1Password for Windows and add your Dropbox vault first, then add the 1Password account. That should get you in the state that you're looking to be.

Rick

• kurtd
    kurtd
    Community Member

I feel like I should be able to sign up for a personal account and a business account and not have them tied to together at all other than using the same app to access them, I don't expect the same password to provide access to both. I currently use lastpass for work and 1password for home. Was hoping to sign up for business account for a few users here at work but if it unlocks both with one password I won't be able to move forward and I really don't like lastpass as much but might be forced to keep it a bit longer until personal and business can have separate passwords.

• kurtd
    kurtd
    Community Member

If I add the dropbox vault first it will then require my personal password instead of my work one? That's still not the state I would want to be in, I'd want separate passwords for personal and work vaults. Is that possible?

How would a company control password complexity among other things when a user can just use their personal password?

• You can accomplish that by using the web app to access one or both accounts. You could also leverage 1Password X. It is admittedly a bit of a workaround, but I believe you’d be able to accomplish a workable solution.

Ben

• kurtd
    kurtd
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

I could use 1Password X with my personal account at work and with my work account at home to keep things separate except if it's only for chrome then not a good work around for me.

If I want to use this master password instead of that master password then I have to add accounts in this order not that order? I hope you see how this isn't user friendly. Please add a feature request to make personal accounts\ vaults use their own passwords. Thanks

• We do have a beta version of 1Password X for Firefox:

Use Firefox? Join the the 1Password X Beta! — 1Password Support

Thanks for the feedback. :)

Ben

• kurtd
    kurtd
    Community Member

I'll give X a try. In the future, please put in a request to keep separate passwords for separate vaults \ accounts with the ability to only have one vault unlocked at a time. When at work I don't want to unlock my personal vault most of the time. When unlocked, it just lowers security and makes it take longer to find the right account since the list of accounts to choose from is much larger when logging into an account.

• Thanks for the suggestion, @kurtd.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kurtd: When using 1Password X (which is out of beta, by the way), if your accounts use different Master Password, they will be unlocked separately — i.e. when you enter Master Password A, only the account that corresponds to it will be unlocked, not the other. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• kurtd
    kurtd
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

Yeah, I'll try it but I noticed 1PX doesn't work with my password database on Dropbox, only cloud accounts.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Correct. It would only work with the 1Password.com account, not the local vault.

This discussion has been closed.