How to move a Secure Note with many attachments to another vault?

rr0ss0rr
rr0ss0rr
Community Member
edited May 2018 in Mac

I have a few of these lying around in my vault .. but now with Families, I would like to move them to the person they belong to.

Looks like I asked this question in 2016
https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/67179/copy-documents-across-vaults#latest

Any update?

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@rr0ss0rr: If you're using a 1Password.com account, each vault is encrypted separately (so that you can share one vault with someone without giving them access to all of your stuff). Copying an item from one to the other will break its links, as all the items will have new UUIDs and be re-encrypted in the process. So the best thing to do would be to tag the relevant items with something unique to identify them so you can re-establish the links in their new home once you've copied everything. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• rr0ss0rr
    rr0ss0rr
    Community Member

OK .. Thanks .. Hoping there would be a automatic way of doing this. Time for me to just do it ;-)

• No automatic way as of yet. Sorry!

Ben

• bittercold
    bittercold
    Community Member

May I ask what's the reason for not moving the attached documents with the item to the new vault?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bittercold: I think there may be some confusion here. Attachments and Documents are completely different things:

• Attachments are files attached to another item in a local vault in 1Password — for example, a PDF attached to a Secure Note.
    • Documents are individual files uploaded to a 1Password.com account — these can be linked to another item, but are completely separate items themselves.

With the former, moving an item will move the attachments which are part of it. With the latter, moving an item will not move any items linked to it; they're all encrypted separately, and frankly I'm not sure I would want 1Password moving a bunch of items when I only tell it to move one. I can see how it would be nice to have that as an option, but it's not something that's possible today.

I hope this helps clarify things. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• bittercold
    bittercold
    Community Member

I see. So previous "attachments" on my local 1Password vault where converted to "documents" when moving to a 1Password account. Is there any way in 1Password accounts to have an "attachment" without a separate "document'?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bittercold: There is not. All files are uploaded as Documents, as that's more flexible for syncing, and they can also be linked to any other item — even to each other. But flexibility necessarily means giving up the rigidity of requiring that they be part of another item, and forever inextricably linked to it. We'll continue to build on this feature over time, and it's possible we'll present the differently in the future as well — sort of how tags can be "nested" in 1Password 7.

• sleifer
    sleifer
    Community Member

I just started using a 1Password.com family account and adjusting to the linked document world in place of the attachment world. I'm moving some items with related documents (attachments from my pre-account days). I'm glad I get an alert telling me that the link will be severed, but surprised that I'm not given an option to also move the document and re-establish the link. Especially when the item I'm moving is the only thing referencing the document. It's the kind of polish I've come to think of 1Password as providing. Please put support for automatic moving of related documents to your enhancement list.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@sleifer - thanks for weighing in on this; as brenty said, it's a feature we hope to continue to improve over time.

This discussion has been closed.