How to disable receiving an email each time I login to 1PX in Chrome

Options
olivierdb
olivierdb
Community Member
edited May 2018 in 1Password in the Browser

Each time I sign in to 1PX, I receive an email telling me that someone has signed in.

Ideally, I'd like to disable receiving these emails whenever the device being used is recognised as being one of mine! Maybe this could be done based on the device's MAC address. Perhaps a user could list his or her authorised MAC addresses in 1Password.com settings and would only be warned if a login attempt was made from an unauthorised device (e.g. a public computer). If this happened, 2FA could kick in.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.0.BETA-10 (70000010)
Extension Version: 1PX 1.7.1
OS Version: macOS 10.13.4
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• dteare
    Options

Thank you for reporting this issue, @olivierdb. Typically you will only receive an email the first time you add a new device so there's something unique about your setup that we'll need to explore to find the culprit.

When 1Password X gets installed a device identifier is generated and stored in local storage. This identifier is then used when logging in to the server and ultimately this is what's used to determine if that email is sent or not. My guess is this identifier is getting deleted by something, thereby forcing 1Password X to generate a new one.

Do you receive two emails if you unlock 1Password, lock it, and unlock again in quick succession? Or does the extra email only happen after restarting Chrome? Do you have some privacy enhancing extensions installed that remove things like cookies? We don't use cookies for this but we do use Local Storage, which is often deleted by extensions like those.

Please let me know and we'll take it from there.

++dave;

• olivierdb
    olivierdb
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @dteare, you were right: it has to do with my Cookie 5 macOS app which was set to delete cookies and databases that are not tied to an extension. I noticed that signing in with 1PX creates a database (local storage item) called leveldb and that this database gets deleted every time I close Chrome. This does not happen by merely unlocking, locking and unlocking again 1PX.

The way I solved the problem is by adding leveldb to my favorites so that it doesn't get deleted when I close Chrome.

But it makes me wonder if it wouldn't have been possible to store the data in the IndexedDB linked to 1PX extension rather than in a stand alone local storage item named leveldb. It may prevent the kind of surprise that I have come across.

• dteare
    Options

Thank you for the update, @olivierdb. I'm glad you found a way around this issue.

You're right that we could have stored this data in IndexedDB instead of Local Storage. The reason for this was simply we didn't need the full powered of IndexedDB for our settings so it made sense to use Local Storage. This is still true and I'd prefer to continue using Local Storage as we have been, but I am a huge supporter of privacy and don't want to hassle people like yourself who take care to protect theirs. So in time I think we'll move all our settings and config values into IndexedDB.

Take care,

++dave;

This discussion has been closed.