How long does it take to sync

Options
Efferon
Efferon
Community Member

I moved an entry from my private vault to a shared vault.
I took over 5 minute to show up in a family member's 1password client.
I took something much less than 1minute to show up online, viewing through the web administration panel. (Not sure how long because I was troubleshooting with my family member to see why the password wasn't showing up)

What is the expected time it should take?
I know your going to say it depends....so let me tell you I have a 85MPBS upload and 86MBPS download, with a 12 ms average latency.
I get monthly router reports showing that I get this speed 99.9% of the time.

So with that in mind, how long does it take your servers to respond to a request to synchronize.

Secondly on a 1 password client is there a way to force the synchronization request. (I could force the old dropbox method on demand)

In other words when I tried to troubleshoot the client, I had no tools (or didn't know what hidden tools) might be available to see what what occurring at any particular instant.

Is that possible with your new 1Password Families

Thank you.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Efferon: Thanks for reaching out!

I moved an entry from my private vault to a shared vault.
    I took over 5 minute to show up in a family member's 1password client.
    I took something much less than 1minute to show up online, viewing through the web administration panel. (Not sure how long because I was troubleshooting with my family member to see why the password wasn't showing up)

Five minutes isn't bad, but it does sound like things aren't running smoothly on that device. You didn't include any of the requested version information — OS, 1Password, device — in your post, so if you'll share that for each device involved that might help narrow down the cause. But I believe you're saying that things are syncing just fine on at least one of your devices, and rather quickly, but that it's just one in particular that's having trouble with some delay. Is that the case?

What is the expected time it should take?
    I know your going to say it depends....so let me tell you I have a 85MPBS upload and 86MBPS download, with a 12 ms average latency.
    I get monthly router reports showing that I get this speed 99.9% of the time.

I don't think your ISP is the problem. :)

So with that in mind, how long does it take your servers to respond to a request to synchronize.

All things being equal? Seconds. Even on a 5mbps it's less than 10 seconds for me. No, that isn't a typo! Five mega_bits_ per second. Yes, I know I'm living in the stone age. My internet is terrible! When it's windy, I often lose the connection completely. But when my connection is working, I'm able to see changes quickly sync to all of my devices.

Secondly on a 1 password client is there a way to force the synchronization request. (I could force the old dropbox method on demand)

No. And unfortunately if the connection cannot be made, times out, or is being blocked or throttled, a sync button wouldn't help anyway. I think it's better to find the cause and come up with a solution, rather than masking the problem.

In other words when I tried to troubleshoot the client, I had no tools (or didn't know what hidden tools) might be available to see what what occurring at any particular instant.
    Is that possible with your new 1Password Families
    Thank you.

What we see most often is that people having sync issues have configuration problems or "security" software or firewall/proxy setups that are interfering, so it would be helpful to know more about the setup on the device that's having trouble. Thanks in advance! :)

This discussion has been closed.