User name generator

SergeyK
SergeyK
Community Member

I prefer to use random login names on different websites to prevent others from searching my activity across internet by my nickname/email.

I'm using password generator for this purpose and it a bit inconvenient because I need to change generator settings every time (login is usually shorter, doesn't have special characters etc.).

Just having ability to generate login name in 1Password would be very useful.
It doesn't need to be integrated into card, it could be just separated menu item.

Referencing the original thread.
https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/49384/generate-user-name-feature-request

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.13.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Perhaps using the Words option of the password generator, set at two words, would work better than the characters option - you wouldn't have to worry about special characters.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Generating usernames isn't really beneficial in most cases, but I like danco 's idea. Just keep in mind that using a long, random, unique password for each site is going to give you all the security you need — and then some, if they don't have byzantine restrictions in place. Cheers! :)

• pervel
    pervel
    Community Member

@brenty, I think the goal here is privacy rather than security since usernames are often public (such as on this forum). Inventing a different username for each site can be a bit cumbersome. And for the truly paranoid (STOP LOOKING AT ME) it can give an extra sense of anonymity if the username is generated completely random. :p

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@pervel: Ah! That's a good point. I was thinking about it from the other angle. In that case, "7OyEs6775mOj35Q4V77g" is just as good, and definitely won't tell anyone anything about you. :sunglasses:

• SergeyK
    SergeyK
    Community Member

This is essential for privacy.
    Yes, under the hood it's the same password generator.

But it's all about usability.
    It's inconvenient to move generator sliders back and forth each time I need a user ans password pair.

A user name generator with presets suitable for typical user names would be very useful.

• SergeyK
    SergeyK
    Community Member

Just try to do it and you will see how existing UX inconvenient for it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

But it's all about usability. It's inconvenient to move generator sliders back and forth each time I need a user ans password pair.

@SergeyK: Can you clarify? I'm not having any trouble with the sliders in the password generator here, so maybe you're referring to something else.

A user name generator with presets suitable for typical user names would be very useful.

I don't think we're going to do that. It's something we'll continue to evaluate, but I can't recall anyone else asking for this. It isn't recommended, nor is it needed for privacy or security. Facerolling on the keyboard works just as well for a username, because it is not a secret and therefore does not require entropy. And, ultimately, what most people are using 1Password for the vast majority of the time is login filling. So it just doesn't make sense for us to design around this particular use case at this time. But we'll keep it in mind for the future.

This discussion has been closed.