1Password X cannot edit logins when using Multi-account Containers extension in Firefox

Hi,

I just installed the 1Password X on Firefox 60 in Windows 10 today. Everything works perfect, except that when I open a login in the extension menu, and click "Edit". It opens the 1Password site, but stuck there with a spinner (site url: https://xxx.1password.com/signin?landing-page=xxx). But if I refresh that page, I can see the item for edit. If I disable the Multi-account Containers extension, it works fine. Could you guys have a look please? Thanks.

1Password Version: 6.8.534
Extension Version: 1.7.1
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1password.com

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018

@alexyang: Did you perhaps set 1Password.com to always open in a certain container? I'm not able to reproduce this without doing so. And when editing from 1Password X, it will open in the default tab, so that's why it won't work. This is something you set either when opening the URL, or when you're already at the site:

The problem seems to be you're trying to break through the container you're using. Does that make sense?

• alexyang
    alexyang
    Community Member

Thanks @brenty , you are correct. The reason I set 1password to open in one of the permanent containers is that I am also using Temporary Containers to load new tabs in different temp containers, which won't respect the cookies and site data set by anything. But 1password extension (and any other extension in Firefox) is using the "default" container, and opening in any other container will not work. I guess this is just some compromise we need to make when using this kind of privacy tools.

For those using the same extensions, the there are two workarounds:

1, is to disable the "Automatic Mode" in the Temporary Container setting, and make sure 1password is NOT in any of the permanent containers. or,
    2. Set 1password to always open in a permanent container, login to 1password in that container, and when editing items and get stuck on the page, press refresh button, it will go through without issues.

I think going forward, it would be best if 1password X can support editing items in the extension menu as compared to opening a tab. That would be very convenient.

Thanks again.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018

@alexyang: Hey, likewise, thanks for making me take a closer look at this! Multi Account Containers is cool...but pretty confusing, so it helps to have a concrete goal in mind when playing around with it to see how it works. Glad I gave it another look. ;)

disable the "Automatic Mode" in the Temporary Container setting, and make sure 1password is NOT in any of the permanent containers.

Thank you for summarizing this so perfectly! I think that will help others. I prefer this option because it's just simpler, and given that 1Password.com does not have any cross-site dependencies, there is no risk to doing it this way.

I think going forward, it would be best if 1password X can support editing items in the extension menu as compared to opening a tab. That would be very convenient.

I agree wholeheartedly! There's a lot more we want to do, so having the 1Password.com web interface means that we lean on that a bit. But I do hope we can bring editing into 1Password X itself down the road.

Thanks again for bringing this up. I suspect it will come up again in the future, and we both learned something that can benefit others. Have a great weekend! :)

ref: b5x-428

This discussion has been closed.