Cannot open document using the 1Password App on my Mac

geoffmason1951
geoffmason1951
Community Member

If I attach a PDF document to (say) a Secure Note, when go back to it later and try to open it, all I get is a large 1Password watermark where I would expect to see the document. If I go to the actual Document itself, I can open it fine from there. I want a secure note to contain several PDFs, but I would expect to be able to open them from the Secure Note itself. Works fine on iPhone, but not my the App (release 6.8.8) on my Mac. Any ideas?

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.13.4
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:opening document

Comments

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni

Hi @geoffmason1951, welcome to the forums. We are happy to help!

Do you think you can provide us with a screenshot of what exactly you are seeing (please ensure that it contains no sensitive information)? It will help us nail down the source of the problem.

• geoffmason1951
    geoffmason1951
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

Sure. I am attaching 2 images. SS1 shows the document that contains some attached files. SS2 shows what I see when I click on one of them. Thanks.

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018

Hi again @geoffmason1951! Thanks for the screenshots. I deleted them from public view as they contained private email addresses, but saved them locally for the support team.

If you restart the 1Password app, does this problem still occur? If so, what steps did you take before you began seeing this problem (e.g. did you add the files in a specific order, etc)?

• geoffmason1951
    geoffmason1951
    Community Member

Restarted a few times and makes no difference. I can open the PDFs as separate documents but not when they’re attached inside siberhingvkije a secure note. Works fine on iPhone and iPad. Files were added one at a time over a period of a few hours.

• geoffmason1951
    geoffmason1951
    Community Member

That strange word is an auto corrected ‘something like’

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@geoffmason1951: Ah, thank you! I would have been a bit confused there. I get some pretty crazy autocorrects too. hehe

Just to clarify, it sounds like you're using the standalone app with a local vault sync'd with iCloud. Is that correct? What you're describing seems to be that the item itself or its attachment is damaged on your device. If you create a new Secure Note and attach some file, do you have the same problem? I suspect not. But if you do, what method are you using to try to view the attachment. Please be as specific as possible so I can try to reproduce it here.

• geoffmason1951
    geoffmason1951
    Community Member

Yes, I believe you are right. I have one local vault that is synced with iCloud (although I cannot see where I said to use iCloud - perhaps this is automatic). Anyway, the attachments aren't damaged and I can open them on my iPhone, iPad and also on the standalone iPassword App on my Mac, when I just open the Document, rather than the object it is included within. I've just created a new secure note, attached one of the PDFs to it and it worked fine. Then when I went back to it, it had stopped opening. I've tried a third Secure Note, attached a PDF and it wouldn't open it at all when I went back in. Tried it again by creating a new Secure Note, including in it a document that was already in 1Password and it wouldn't open it. Then tried creating a different object, this time an "Identity", added a PDF that opens fine when I open it as a stand-alone document, and this does not work either. So, it does not see to be the type of object I create. I am really confused. There are other objects that have many included PDFs and they work fine. I'm working round this at the moment, so it's not urgent - but it is pretty baffling.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Yes, I believe you are right. I have one local vault that is synced with iCloud (although I cannot see where I said to use iCloud - perhaps this is automatic).

@geoffmason1951: You can view and change sync settings in 1Password Preferences > Sync. It isn't something that's done automatically. You would have had to configure it to sync with iCloud.

Anyway, the attachments aren't damaged and I can open them on my iPhone, iPad and also on the standalone iPassword App on my Mac,

That's good to know!

when I just open the Document, rather than the object it is included within.

Can you explain what you mean by this? The only way to view an attached file is by opening it outside of 1Password. 1Password cannot display all of the various file types itself within the app.

I've just created a new secure note, attached one of the PDFs to it and it worked fine. Then when I went back to it, it had stopped opening.

Can you elaborate on "it stopped opening"? Again, what are the specific steps you're taking?

I've tried a third Secure Note, attached a PDF and it wouldn't open it at all when I went back in. Tried it again by creating a new Secure Note, including in it a document that was already in 1Password and it wouldn't open it. Then tried creating a different object, this time an "Identity", added a PDF that opens fine when I open it as a stand-alone document, and this does not work either. So, it does not see to be the type of object I create. I am really confused. There are other objects that have many included PDFs and they work fine. I'm working round this at the moment, so it's not urgent - but it is pretty baffling.

Agreed. I'm pretty confused too, but I'm sure we can get to the bottom of it. Be as specific as possible, and I will test and see if I can reproduce it here, to determine what's going wrong. Thanks in advance! :)

• geoffmason1951
    geoffmason1951
    Community Member

Yes, you're right, I'm not opening it. I click on the Secure Note and I see in this particular one, four PDF files listed under "Related Items", When I hover on any one of them the mouse changes to a hand, I click and I get a blank panel, showing just "1Password" as a sort of watermark. There is nowhere else for me to click.

However, if I search 1Password to locate the file that I just clicked on, I can see it as a separate Document. When I click on this Document I get a "Click to View" option. which if I select, gives me a view of the file in the panel, where previously I just saw the watermark, This is what I expected to see when I opened the file within the Secure Note.

What I cannot recall is how the PDF files (all my attached files are PDFs) got there. I'm not sure if I added them during the process of creating the Secure Note ("Add New File" under "Related Items"), or whether I added them as separate documents, and then linked to them ("Link Existing" under "Related Items"). If you think the way they were added is important, let me know and I will try to do both again.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Yes, you're right, I'm not opening it. I click on the Secure Note and I see in this particular one, four PDF files listed under "Related Items", When I hover on any one of them the mouse changes to a hand, I click and I get a blank panel, showing just "1Password" as a sort of watermark. There is nowhere else for me to click.

@geoffmason1951: I don't think you're using attachments or syncing a local vault with iCloud. "Related Items" are a 1Password.com feature. Is that what you're using?

However, if I search 1Password to locate the file that I just clicked on, I can see it as a separate Document. When I click on this Document I get a "Click to View" option. which if I select, gives me a view of the file in the panel, where previously I just saw the watermark, This is what I expected to see when I opened the file within the Secure Note.

I'm not sure what you mean by "watermark", but 1Password.com uses Documents, which are uploaded files stored as separate items. "Related Items" are just links from one item to another. When you click one of these, it will take you to that item, not display the file itself. To view the file, you'll need to click where it says "Click to Download & View" to first download the file, and then you can view it using Quick Look, or click the v to select "Open With", "Show in Finder", etc.

What I cannot recall is how the PDF files (all my attached files are PDFs) got there. I'm not sure if I added them during the process of creating the Secure Note ("Add New File" under "Related Items"), or whether I added them as separate documents, and then linked to them ("Link Existing" under "Related Items"). If you think the way they were added is important, let me know and I will try to do both again.

Indeed, if you had been using a local vault and not a 1Password.com account previously, attachments were files you added to a specific item. When you migrated to a 1Password.com membership, since files are uploaded as Documents to your account, these were converted into, for example, as Secure Note with separate Documents which it links to. Does that help clarify things?

• geoffmason1951
    geoffmason1951
    Community Member

I think I need to read this again when I get home, but could you clarify how I tell what account type I have and how it is being synced? I created it initially on my iPhone and then took out a subscription. I cannot find reference to iCloud in my Mac App settings. My subscription has just been activated so perhaps what I’m seeing means I am not properly using a synced account.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I think I need to read this again when I get home, but could you clarify how I tell what account type I have and how it is being synced?

@geoffmason1951: Unfortunately we can't discuss account details here on a public forum, and I have no way of knowing how you have things setup on your devices...

I created it initially on my iPhone and then took out a subscription. I cannot find reference to iCloud in my Mac App settings. My subscription has just been activated so perhaps what I’m seeing means I am not properly using a synced account.

If you're still having trouble, the best thing to do will be to generate a diagnostic report for each device so we can look at the logs to determine how things are setup and give you next steps:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Please send them to support@agilebits.com and add the following Support ID (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending:

[#QHA-75351-589]

If you’re reading this and you are not geoffmason1951, this Support ID is for geoffmason1951 only. Please ask us for your own if you also need help.

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. Let me know once you've sent it. Once we see it we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

ref: QHA-75351-589

This discussion has been closed.