1Password data migration: you have 2 sets of 1Password data on this Mac

4Q_A
4Q_A
Community Member
edited May 2018 in Mac

I have had updated versions of 1P on my imac since v3, later family and now teams. When I upgraded to v7 I received the above message. How can I locate and remove from my mac anything not related to my current version?

1Password Version: 7.0 BETA-12
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:You have 2 sets of 1 password data on this mac

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@4Q_A: The message you're seeing is probably not related to 1Password 3, but rather you'll see this if you had used both AgileBits Store and Mac App Store versions of 1Password previously, as these have separate data locations due to App Store policy. Which did you purchase?

• 4Q_A
    4Q_A
    Community Member

Thanks Brenty.
    In 2013 I bought the iphone and mac apps via the itunes store.
    In the past I would sync via itunes / wifi / icloud, and backups would be created automatically.
    I notice when I go to the backup section of 1 password preferences mac it is still backing up daily but the backup is the 386 items I used to have in my individual account before I transitioned to teams and family, not the 472 items I now have.
    Is there some way I can stop automatic backups which I no longer need?
    If so I assume I can then delete the backups and will only have one set of data?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@4Q_A: Automatic backups will only be happening on the 1Password.com server if you're using just a 1Password.com account. The only way you'll have local backups being saved periodically is if you still have any local vaults, which are completely separate from any 1Password.com account. Also, if you had file attachments saved to items when using local vaults previously, when migrating to 1Password.com they will have been converted to Documents; so you'd have at least two items then: the original item (Secure Note, for example) and a Document for the file you had saved there (e.g. a PDF). Does that help?

• 4Q_A
    4Q_A
    Community Member

Yes I can see an "on my mac" vault in addition to the teams ones. There was nothing in it other than 3 "recovered edits" and 386 items in the trash. I have deleted the items and the backups but don't want to make any other changes to my computer without knowing what I am doing as I don't want to delete information relating to my teams account in error. Is there information on how to "uninstall" a personal account from your mac when you have converted to teams?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@4Q_A: I hear you. If you sign into the 1Password.com site in your web browser and you have all or your data there, you don' have anything to worry about:

https://start.1password.com/vaults/all

Everything you see there is in your account. And everything in your account is automatically backed up on the server (and includes item history, if you're like me and make mistakes from time to time...) so you can sign in with your account credentials to access your data even if all of your devices are lost, stolen, or destroyed.

So, with that in mind, and after confirming that you have everything you need in your account, you can reset the app and set it up again with only your account. That way you can have the same setup on all of your devices and avoid confusion in the future. Let me know how it goes! :)

• 4Q_A
    4Q_A
    Community Member

Thanks so much Brenty I think that has sorted me out.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Excellent! Thanks for the update. You are most welcome! I'm glad to hear that all is well. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

• netnothing
    netnothing
    Community Member

I think I received a similar message when upgrading from v6 to v7.

Anyway to remove the vault it lists as being updated in 2016?

• @netnothing,

if you hover over the row it should give you a tooltip that tells you where its located, but i believe in this case you'll find that in ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Data

Rudy

• netnothing
    netnothing
    Community Member

Thanks @rudy. I do see a couple files there from 2016. Any issues just leaving it alone? I don't want to delete the wrong thing.

• @netnothing,

No harm in leaving it there, we write out a .migrationConsidered file in both of the v6 data folders so if you reset your data (a la help -> troubleshooting -> reset all 1Password data) it won't show you this dialog again. You'll be met with the normal welcome screen.

Rudy

This discussion has been closed.