Problem with 2FA on Amazon AWS and Amazon UK

JasonN
JasonN
Community Member

Hi there,

Ever since I set up 2FA on these two accounts, it has become a nightmare of trying to guess which is the correct code. My email address and password are the same for both accounts but obviously the 2FA code is different (as it is time-based). This causes a lot of confusion, resulting in me consistently inputting the 2FA codes at random in order to get into my account. Most recently, my AWS account accepted only my Amazon.co.uk 2FA code.

In the end, I have turned off 2FA on the amazon.co.uk account so that AWS doesn't get confused. Surely this should not have to happen with a company this size. Has anyone else had any problems and found a way for 1Password to work effectively with 2FA enable for both their AWS account and their shopping account?

Kind Regards

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: 4.7.0
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• GTIMANiac
    GTIMANiac
    Community Member

Just change the name or create a tag to differentiate between the two. Though I would also suggest using your AWS Root account except when absolutely needed.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@GTIMANiac: Thanks for the assist! That can certainly be helpful. :)

@JasonN: I did want to double check with you though to make sure we're on the same page. Are these separate login items, or are you actually using a single login item for this? Separate ones may be better, and would allow you to take advantage of that suggestion, but I did want to get a better sense of the use case to see if there's something we can do to improve 1Password. I have never had the occasion myself, but I have heard from a few users recently that have multiple TOTP codes for the same login. Let me know!

• JasonN
    JasonN
    Community Member

@brenty Hi there, they are separate login items with different URLs. They both share the same username (which in this case is an email address) and the same password. When I try to log into AWS, for some reason I have to use the Amazon shopping TOTP code and then the AWS TOTP code. Even then, sometimes it doesn't work and Amazon asks me to resync the TOTP code by inputting it Ince, then waiting until a new code appears and then entering that one too.

What is more mystifying is that Amazon shopping offers to let Safari remember the browser/device so I don't have to keep inputting it - but that functionality doesn't seem to stick.

Kind Regards

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@JasonN: Yikes, that's really confusing, on multiple levels. If it were me, just for my own sanity, I'd stick with separate login items and name them something that made sense to me as GTIMANiac suggested. I would not be able to handle a single login item with multiple TOTP codes. I'm not sure about the other issue, other than it might be worth trying a different browser, and/or clearing out the cache for Amazon in Safari. I had some issues with YouTube a while back where I'd login and it would ask me to again as soon as the page loaded (in addition to never loading comments). It sounds like you have something messed up in the cache — hopefully, otherwise a lot of people will be having a bad time if that is a problem with the actual AWS website. :dizzy:

This discussion has been closed.