Why do I have to enter my password over and over again?

desertman
desertman
Community Member

I have set the lock time in the 1Password preferences to 120 minutes. I still have to reenter my master password both in 1Password application and in the browser very often - at least every 15 minutes. How can that be fixed, please? I find it especially annoying in the browser.

1Password Version: 6.8.8 (Store)
Extension Version: Beta 4.7.1.4
OS Version: macOS 10.12.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• pervel
    pervel
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

Which boxes are checked in the Auto-lock section of 1Password preferences? You can read about the meaning of them here: https://support.1password.com/auto-lock/

• desertman
    desertman
    Community Member

Checked are:
    Lock on sleep
    Lock when screen saver is activated (I never use a screen saver)
    Lock when fast user switching (I never switch users)
    Lock after computer is idle for 120 minutes
    Clear Clipboard contents after 90 second

• desertman
    desertman
    Community Member

Since I don't use almost any of these options, would it help for testing purposes to uncheck all options and see whether I then do not have to reenter the password?

• pervel
    pervel
    Community Member

Lock when screen saver is activated (I never use a screen saver)

I believe this is also when the screen turns off due to inactivity or when closing the lid on a MacBook. Definitely, try unchecking those you know you don't need as long as you're aware of the security implications.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@desertman: Indeed, unless you have some software set to do something intentionally to keep your Mac active, 1Password will lock due to inactivity. Are you yourself using the computer when it locks? I'm guessing not, but I'd rather not assume.

• desertman
    desertman
    Community Member

My Mac mini goes never into sleep or lock modes; I just have the screen go dark after a while.

I have unchecked every "Lock" option except the "Lock after computer is idle for 120 minutes" option. That seems to do the trick. I will reduce the minutes at some time so that it is easier to check whether it now works as I wont it.

• Thanks for the update. Please let us know how it turns out. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.