Perpetual update messages

skippingrock
skippingrock
Community Member

Hello I am continuously getting Message Centre notices on my Macs running 1Password 6 Version 6.8.8 (688002) AgileBits Store that there is a 1Password Update available. I click on the Update… and then the updater launches and says "You are up to date Thank you for running the latest version of 1Password!"

I assume that one part of the software knows that there is a version 7 beta update, but the updater application doesn't see it.

I try to click Ignore, because I want to stay on version 6 1Password for now, but the message just comes up again, and again, and again.

Can you let the 1Password 6 updater know about this version 7 beta and give the option to skip the builds?

I don't really want to turn off update checking, but that's my next step.

Cheers, @skippingrock.

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.8.8 (688002) AgileBits Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @skippingrock

Do you have the option to check for beta updates enabled?

Ben

• It seems that we have a bug somewhere.

Do you have a 1Password account or just a license? The auto-updater message should be displayed to everyone with the 1Password account but not to license users (it is a paid upgrade for license customers and people get upset when they are updated automatically).

• skippingrock
    skippingrock
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

@Ben yes, it is on. So one part of the app knows that there is a beta 7, but the actual updater app isn't seeing the 7 beta.
    @roustem I have multiple, a license and a 1Password Teams and Family account.

• @skippingrock

what OS are you running this on?

If its older than 10.12, it won't give you the 1Password 7 update.

Rudy

• Hi there @skippingrock . Thanks for the report. This is indeed a bug and it has been fixed. 6.8.9, which will be available some time today, contains this fix.

• skippingrock
    skippingrock
    Community Member

Thanks @MrRooni. @rudy this was happening on both macOS 10.12.6 and macOS 10.13.3.

Cheers.

• skippingrock
    skippingrock
    Community Member

I can confirm that the issue is now resolved and that I'm (under my macOS 10.12.6 MacBook Pro) getting the expected interactions.
    Thanks!

I've clicked Remind Me Later, as I'm going to stick around back here and test how this version does.

Cheers, @skippingrock.

• Thanks for the update @skippingrock. Glad to hear it is now working as expected. :)

Ben

• skippingrock
    skippingrock
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

oh, one thing that I forgot to mention that was interesting with my macOS 10.13.3 installation is that when I did click the update button in the 1P Message Centre notification, I got two instances of the same 1Password Updater Helper application launching at the same time. (Only one click on the button, I was very careful to ensure that this last time.)

I will let you know if it happens in 6.8.9.

@skippingrock

Command-clicking on both applications in the dock took me to the same helper application. So it wasn't that there was another copy of the helper application from elsewhere on my drive, it was the same binary running twice.

Interesting… what I've discovered is that there are actually two 1Password minis running in my menubar as well.

• Strange. Thanks for letting us know. :)

Ben

• skippingrock
    skippingrock
    Community Member

My only thought to why this happened is that when the first time I clicked on update, the updater thought that the 1Password mini was quit by the helper already but it hadn't. When 1Password was relaunched, the application didn't see that their was already a 1Password mini instance already running, so it launched another one.

My club being that one of the 1Password mini CPU times is 4:18.92 where as the 1Password 6 is 1:26.94 and the other 1Password mini is 1:05.64. Which means the first 1Password mini was launched before the 1Password 6 but 1P6 couldn't connect to it or didn't see it so it spanned another instance.

I can stick on this 6.8.8 version if you want me to check anything else before going to 6.8.9. Just let me know what you'd like me to do. Proceed with 6.8.9 or stick with 6.8.8 to find out what caused this. I can look in my Console logs to see if there is anything of note if you let me know what to look for.

Cheers,
    @skippingrock

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

6.8.9 doesn't have any changes in that area, so updating is no problem. Definitely let us know if you encounter further issues, and we'll keep an eye on things as well, especially if there are other reports. Thanks for your patience and willingness to work with us on this! :)

This discussion has been closed.