Password generator - Random words - Add option for including capitals/numbers

Options
2»

Comments

• pfp
    pfp
    Community Member
    Options

I need to add my support for the the original request. I also think this could be done very simply with two checkboxes. "Replace 1 word with a 4 digit number" and "Use proper case on random words"

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@romad - it's not (only) the difficulty. I suspect - though I'm not part of coding this myself - that making such changes wouldn't be too huge an undertaking on its own (though I could be wrong about that). But it's also not nearly the only thing that's "in the pipeline," as you say. Anything that we greenlight means more than one thing that won't get any attention this time around, and there are quite a few moving parts to what goes into updates, from bug fixes to behind-the-scenes security upgrades to, well, all sorts of stuff. So the calculation about what to work on (or about whether to work on Specific Thing X) involves a lot more than just an assessment of how simple/how many developer hours it would take to do that thing on its own.

• romad
    romad
    Community Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

OK, Lars, I think I understand. To me and probably most users, the priorities should be:

Top Priority: Security Upgrades
    2nd Priority: Bug Fixes (though this could be also considered as part of the Top Priority)
    3rd Priority: User Requests like this. Many companies ask their users for suggestions or provide a list of possible changes and ask their users to rank them.
    Lowest Priority: UI Eye Candy

• Ben
    Options

BTDTNT

lol, well put.

BTW, how involved is the process to add this capability? Is it possible to include it with the next (or one after) update that is in the pipeline?

The password generator is one area that we are working hard to standardize across all of our supported platforms. We do have some changes planned here but in addition to the fact that we’re generally not able to share timelines about upcoming features there are also a lot of moving parts on this one that require coordination across teams. That said it is an important one for us.

Ben

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2018
    Options

@pfp thanks for your comment.

I also think this could be done very simply with two checkboxes.

I mean this sincerely and not in a flip way, but if you type any of the following into the search bar here at this forum:

• checkbox
    • preference (or "add a preference")
    • toggle

...you'll get a sense of how many times we get suggestions that we just add this or that preference as a selectable option to 1Password's interface. I've no doubt whatsoever that, for the person requesting the specific preference/toggle/checkbox, its addition would be both very useful and much appreciated. But the reason I'm bringing this up is to highlight that it would also - were we to say yes to every preference/checkbox/toggle request - result in substantial code-bloat and a UI festooned with far too many moving parts for most people's interests/attention. As Ben said just above, this is something we are indeed looking into fine-tuning, but it requires considerable cross-platform (and also now, the 1password.com server) coordination to make happen in a way that works reliably everywhere without breaking other things on any platform. That said (and to echo Ben again), this is an important one for us as well, so stay tuned to release notes, and -- if you're into that sort of thing -- check the (irony!) checkbox in Preferences > Updates to include beta builds in update checks, so you'll be among the first to see the new stuff. Thanks again! :)

• tophop
    tophop
    Community Member
    Options

I often need to create this kind of password for a separate controlled device (so can't copy and paste or use the 1P browser on from phone). The solution above is burdensome; the editable part of the generated password is all dots. The revealed the password is in the line below, but the visual width of that line does not match that of the editable line. As a result, you often end up moving to the wrong place to capitalize or add a number.

While we wait for the 1P team to take this up (it feels like it may be a while, if ever; I've been checking the forums periodically for over a year now and just came across this post talking about "code-bloat"...not encouraging), I recommend Enpass (https://www.enpass.io) for this use case. It has a wonderful password generator section (simpler to use than 1P's, in my opinion) where you can create this kind of password with the touch of a button, copy and paste into 1P. This is quicker and less error-prone than the solution above. They have a limited option that is free, but I gave them $10 (one-time cost) for the fully featured app; it's been such a time-saver that they deserve it, frankly.

Give it a try, or if any user has an even better solution please post it!

This discussion has been closed.