How to delete primary vault on Mac

tonystinson
tonystinson
Community Member

I have a 1Password membership and have been using 1Password for Families. I have a left over standalone Primary Vault on my Mac. There are no passwords in this vault. Is it possible to delete this vault? The option to Delete the vault in the Vault menu item is greyed out when I select this vault and try to delete it.

1Password Version: 7.0 Beta 16
Extension Version: 4.7.1
OS Version: 10.13.5
Sync Type: 1Password
Referrer: forum-search:delete primary vault on mac

Comments

• Hi @tonystinson,

Do you have other standalone vaults on your Mac? The Primary vault must be the last deleted standalone vault, so having others may explain why the option to delete it is greyed out.

Ben

• tonystinson
    tonystinson
    Community Member

Beside my vaults in in 1Password Account, I have a vault on DropBox and the vault mentioned in this message on My Mac. The standalone on my Mac is completely empty. So, is the reason I can't delete the standalone vault on My Mac is because I have a standalone on DropBox?

• Yes. :) The Primary vault has to be deleted last.

Ben

• tonystinson
    tonystinson
    Community Member

Ben, that work. So now, I am trying to add a work vault that is located on Dropbox. When I got to add a vault, it is being added in my 1Password membership account area. How do I add this outside vault?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@tonystinson - you can add it, but it will require that you first go to Preferences > Advanced and re-select (check) the box marked "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts." You'll be asked to create a new Master Password (give it the same one as the one you're using already, just to keep things simple and memorable). A new, empty Primary vault will be created. Then visit Preferences > Sync and make sure you choose the existing sync keychain in Dropbox. You'll be told this will be "merged" with your Primary vault. I put "merged" in quotes because technically it IS a merge...but since there's nothing IN your newly-created Primary vault, it's essentially an import for all practical purposes.

• tonystinson
    tonystinson
    Community Member

Perfect. Worked great. Thank you so much!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@tonystinson - Excellent! Glad I was able to help. :)

This discussion has been closed.