Different Master Passwords for cloud Account and Mac app?

cjc182
cjc182
Community Member

Hi, I just signed up for an account through Agile Bits and noticed that my Master password for the cloud account is different from the Mac app I had set up previously. Shouldn't they mirror each other?

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 10.13.4
Sync Type: AgileBits

Comments

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018

Hi @cjc182, welcome to the forum! We are happy to help.

It seems like you are referring to the "Meet your Secret Key" screen you receive during signup:

This is used to add an extra layer of security to your master password and does not replace it.

Once you click "Continue" on the "Meet your Secret Key" screen above, you can enter your Master Password and then download an Emergency Kit (contains the secret key) to save in a safe place.

Furthermore, this article outlines the how to move your local 1Password data to a 1Password account.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

• cjc182
    cjc182
    Community Member

Hi, No sorry, that is not what I was referring to.
    I started with the 1Password Mac OS app. I then signed up for the 1Password sync service through the cloud. That service required a more complex password than what I had been using on the Mac OS app. I somehow assumed that once I had the cloud service it would require me to change my Mac OS password to mirror the cloud password. Obviously I was wrong. I guess it's up to me to decide if I want to have the passwords match? Thanks.

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni

Hi @cjc182, apologies for the misunderstanding.

Since there is no way to enforce the use of the same Master Password, we require users to input a new one when they make a 1Password Account (it can be the same as your local, but the 1Password account requirements tend to be more strict). So yeah, it is up to you if you want the passwords to match :). There is no harm in this, but we cannot enforce it.

• cjc182
    cjc182
    Community Member

Thanks!

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni

No problem :). Please let us know if you have anymore questions.

This discussion has been closed.