[Bug] Lost attachments when duplicating items

Mirek Petricek
Mirek Petricek
Community Member
edited May 2018 in Mac

Repro steps:

1. Duplicate a keychain item with attached files (e.g. software license or passport item with attachment) using "Duplicate" from the context menu.
  2. Compare the source item and the duplicate

Expected result:
Both entries should be identical, including any attached files.

Actual result:
Attachments are lost on the duplicated item.

1Password Version: 7.0
Extension Version: 7.0
OS Version: 10.11
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018

@Mirek Petricek - I don't mean to nitpick you, but before I answer, I'd like to get clarity around what you said you're using. Specifically, it isn't possible to run 1Password 7 for Mac over macOS 10.11 ("El Capitan"). Can you clarify the versions of both 1Password and macOS you're using for me, please? Thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Mirek Petricek - to be clear and candid with you, what you're describing has never been possible as far as I'm aware, due to the nature of how attachments are handled in standalone vaults, where they're direct attachments to the specific record in question. The functionality IS available with the upgraded Documents capability of 1Password accounts, but I don't consider this a bug or regression for standalone vaults. If you want to attach the same file to multiple login items in standalone vaults, you need to upload a copy of it to each one -- whether the Login items themselves are duplicates of one another or not.

• Mirek Petricek
    Mirek Petricek
    Community Member

Thanks @Lars

It is macOS 10.13.4 / 1 Password 7.0 Beta-18. Sorry about the confusion with El Capitan.

I understand that it could be tricky as far as implementation is concerned (not fixed length, how to model the data, whether to create a shallow or deep copy, etc.). However, from the user perspective, I don't think it is unreasonable to assume that "duplicate" would duplicate all properties of a keychain item, not just those that are easy to handle by the database. The "attachments" field is presented to the user just like any other property of the item and yet it is the only one that is not preserved when duplicating.

I keep a lot of important data in these attached files (for example my Driving License entry has a scan of my actual paper license attached, my software license entries have copies of all emails related to the particular license). I was surprised these can be easily lost in the process.

• NateS
    NateS
    Community Member

This will be a biggie for me too when deciding whether to upgrade to 1P7, because attachments are where I keep a screenshot of the page containing the Security Questions and my Answers for each and every website, because I never use actual facts as answers nor do I use the same answer on different websites. Example:
    Website 1 - Name of the city in which you were born? Answer - chair;
    Website 2 - Name of the city in which you were born? Answer - tree.
    If you don't carry over attachments, how am I ever going to be able to convert over to 1P7 if you don't carry over attachments?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Mirek Petricek This is actually one of the reasons that drove us to create the much more robust and flexible system of Documents in 1password.com accounts. With a 1password.com account, instead of being attached directly to each individual record, uploaded files are given their own category name ("Documents") and each item is given its own UUID, separate from being attached directly to a single record. Links can then be created from within other 1Password records (Logins, Drivers Licenses, even Secure Notes) to these Documents, for easy reference. But none of those other items has the power to remove or destroy the file it links to -- and those files (whether a scan of your Passport or some other important document) can be searched independently of the items which link to them.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@NateS - I think your question is different from the previous one. If you're asking whether Attachments are carried over from 1Password 6 for Mac to 1Password 7 for Mac, they are. Your data should be imported entirely, without issue. I think Mirek was saying items duplicated using the "Duplicate" feature within 1Password weren't showing up with attachments. If all you're doing is upgrading, that process should be VERY smooth for you. And, if it turns out not to be, there's still good news: your 1Password 6 for Mac (and earlier) data is stored in a separate location from where 1Password 7 for Mac stores its data, so if worse came to worst, you could reinstall the previous version, and try again.

• NateS
    NateS
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

Lars, thanks for your reply but I don't understand how the problem is different. How is my attaching screenshots of Security Qs & As different from Petricek attaching or Repro attaching copies of driver's license or software licenses?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @NateS,

Mirek was asking about a 1Password action that allows you to duplicate an item from inside 1Password, unless I'm mistaken you were asking about the move from 1Password 6 to 7 which is handled differently. Moving from 6 to 7 won't lose any existing attachments.

This discussion has been closed.