Suggestions for 1Password

Options
Tribruin
Tribruin
Community Member

First of all, let me say that I am very happy with 1Password and have recently moved over to a subscription model. However, there are a few suggestions for improvements that I could like to make:

1) Ability to create our own categories. There are a lot of categories, but I would love the ability to create my own categories.

2) When moving items between vaults and there is a linked item, offer to move the linked items at the same time. (I think that should be an option, not always.) I often attach documents to entries (e.g. a copy of my Health Insurance card to the details of my Health Insurance, receipts for software purchases)

3) When creating a link between items, create the link both ways. Right now, I have documents links to items, but if I go to the document, I have no idea what item they are linked back to.

4) Alternate to above. Instead of creating a separate item for documents and maintaining a link, allow users to embed the documents in the item instead of creating a separate "document" item.

Finally, not sure if this is bug or a usage error, but there needs to be more intelligence for changing passwords when prompted for both old and new passwords. I go to change a password on a website and get prompted for my old password (which I copy from 1password). I then use the password generator to create a new password and copy and paste it in the new password field. I ensure I save the password in 1Password. However, as soon I submit the password change, 1password prompts to update my password for this website. However, it then pulls the password from the "old password" field and "updates" my password in the item with the old password. (Thank goodness for the ability to review old passwords. I have to immediately go and copy the last used password back in to my current password.)

I have since learned to NOT update password in 1password when doing a password change, but that is not obvious to an end user. They would likely respond affirmatively to the request to update their password in 1password.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

First of all, let me say that I am very happy with 1Password and have recently moved over to a subscription model.

@Tribruin: Thanks for getting in touch! Glad to hear you're enjoying using 1Password as much as we enjoy making it. :chuffed:

However, there are a few suggestions for improvements that I could like to make:
    1) Ability to create our own categories. There are a lot of categories, but I would love the ability to create my own categories.

That's definitely something we want too. It's easier said than done, but hopefully we'll be able to add that feature down the road. :)

2) When moving items between vaults and there is a linked item, offer to move the linked items at the same time. (I think that should be an option, not always.) I often attach documents to entries (e.g. a copy of my Health Insurance card to the details of my Health Insurance, receipts for software purchases)

Yep, this drives us nuts too. I'm not even sure the best way to handle it. Should 1Password automatically move these? Should it prompt for each one? We'll have to have the designers figure that out, and have the developers get it working smoothly since it will involve decrypting and re-encrypting data with the destination vault's keys.

3) When creating a link between items, create the link both ways. Right now, I have documents links to items, but if I go to the document, I have no idea what item they are linked back to.

That's on our list too! I can't promise anything, as it's another case where not everyone is going to want/expect the same thing, but it's something that comes up from time to time.

4) Alternate to above. Instead of creating a separate item for documents and maintaining a link, allow users to embed the documents in the item instead of creating a separate "document" item.

I'm not sure we're going to do that since Documents offer a lot more flexibility — especially with regard to uploading files of any size and not having to worry about them eating up all of our mobile devices' data by being automatically downloaded — but it's something we'll continue to evaluate.

Finally, not sure if this is bug or a usage error, but there needs to be more intelligence for changing passwords when prompted for both old and new passwords. I go to change a password on a website and get prompted for my old password (which I copy from 1password). I then use the password generator to create a new password and copy and paste it in the new password field. I ensure I save the password in 1Password. However, as soon I submit the password change, 1password prompts to update my password for this website. However, it then pulls the password from the "old password" field and "updates" my password in the item with the old password. (Thank goodness for the ability to review old passwords. I have to immediately go and copy the last used password back in to my current password.)

If you didn't save the new password in 1Password first, then that's definitely a bug. Please let us know the URL so we can investigate.

I have since learned to NOT update password in 1password when doing a password change, but that is not obvious to an end user. They would likely respond affirmatively to the request to update their password in 1password.

However, if you're chasing the password in 1Password first, and then telling 1Password to update the login when you use it on the website, that is most definitely not a bug: 1Password is doing exactly what you told it to do. Think of it this way: 1Password already has the "new" password saved. Why would it think you want it to save that one again? It's going to see that the other password on the page — the "old" one — is different than what you have saved in 1Password and, rightly, offer to save it for you. You don't have to tell it to do so, and in this case, you shouldn't, but if you do, 1Password will comply.

Anyway, thank yo for taking the time to share your requests with us! We'll continue to improve 1Password, and we're here if you have any other questions, comments, or feedback. Cheers! :)

ref: apple-1377, apple-737, apple-738

This discussion has been closed.