Upgrading to MAS 1Password 7... New Safari Extension? & what to do with 1Password 6? + Sidebar bug

ahankins
ahankins
Community Member

Hello! Very excited about 1Password 7 for Mac! I have 3 questions though...

1) I downloaded via the Mac App Store and launched the new app, all of my stuff is there but is there a proper way to remove the old 1Password 6? Can I just trash the old .app?

2) Does 1Password 7 use the same Safari Extension? (4.7.1) or is there a new one to install?

3) It seems that the main 1Password window is not remembering that I like to have all of my items in the sidebar expanded and when I quit the app, they all collapse again... Thoughts?

1Password Version: 7.0
Extension Version: 4.7.1
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: 1Password Account

Comments

• ahankins
    ahankins
    Community Member

Also, if the 1Password Safari Extension is the same, when I install the 1Password Safari Extension, I am prompted to "Install from Developer" or "Install from Gallery". It seems "Install from Gallery" is the better option as it says it will automatically update...

Which should I choose?

Thanks

• Andrew_Lapadat
    Andrew_Lapadat
    1Password Alumni

Hey Ahankins,

If 1Password 6 is still on your Mac, you can safely delete the .app. Seeing as how you downloaded 1P7 from the App Store, it sounds like you're using a 1Password account and thus your data is safe.

Currently, 1Password 7 uses the same Safari Extension. According to a comment by Dave on TheVerge's article, this might change in a future update (https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/22/17379834/1password-mac-app-update-agilebits).

I'm sure a team member will be around to address the last one.

• ahankins
    ahankins
    Community Member

Thanks for the info, Andrew!

On the sidebar bug, I'm noticing that if I use 1Password Mini to "Quit 1Password Completely", the expanded sidebar items are preserved but if I just do a regular quit (Command-Q), that's when the sidebar items collapse again upon reopening the main app.

• duncanbrook
    duncanbrook
    Community Member

It seems that the main 1Password window is not remembering that I like to have all of my items in the sidebar expanded and when I quit the app, they all collapse again... Thoughts?

The 1Password team knows that this bug still isn't fixed — after 18 betas — and decided to ship the shiny new sidebar anyway. They don't think it's a big deal. There's an uncomfortable workaround that both gives & takes away: "you can not eat your cake" or "you can have your cake taken away from you." See this thread.

• SirAtilla
    SirAtilla
    Community Member

Well that is disappointing as it should be in release notes if not fixed. This will drive me nuts as not remembering window positions or things being expanded etc is just plain sloppy.

• ahankins
    ahankins
    Community Member

@duncanbrook Thanks for letting me know that the AgileBits team is aware of this issue.

• bluegecko
    bluegecko
    Community Member

When switching from 1P Mac AppStore app to 1P 7 standalone, does the installer remove the MAS 1Password 6 app automatically? The documentation I read says I need to remove it myself manually, but after I installed 1P 7, the old app was gone. Maybe silly of me, but I got a bit worried something had gone wrong, although I'm sure this is normal behaviour. But I do feel like it should be made clear that this is normal behaviour in the documentation or at some point during the installation process, if indeed it is meant to happen.

• @bluegecko,

The installer for version 7 will zip up any copies of 6 it finds in the /Applications folder.

Rudy

• bluegecko
    bluegecko
    Community Member

Great. Good to know this is normal behaviour. But can I recommend that the support article https://support.1password.com/switch-from-mac-app-store/ be updated to reflect this?

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member

I have a families account. I could not find 1p7 in the MAS so I downloaded from the website. Will I face any issue with this approach?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ahankins

is there a proper way to remove the old 1Password 6? Can I just trash the old .app?

Yes. That IS the proper way. :)

Does 1Password 7 use the same Safari Extension? (4.7.1) or is there a new one to install?

For now, Safari uses the same 4.7.1 extension. We plan to release an all-new Safari App Extension (SAE) soon (and in fact had been hoping to release it along with 7.0, but ran into a couple of unexpected difficulties). But for now, the extension you have should work fine. If not, please try deleting and reinstalling it. And yes, installing from the Gallery is fine.

It seems that the main 1Password window is not remembering that I like to have all of my items in the sidebar expanded and when I quit the app, they all collapse again... Thoughts?

We're aware of the issue with Watchtower, categories and tags expansion not being remembered by the main app, and should have a fix for it out soon.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@bluegecko - it's not a function of moving from the MAS to our version (or vice-versa). It's a function of upgrading from version 6 to version 7. You can safely trash the zip file without worry or risk to your 1Password data.

• ahankins
    ahankins
    Community Member

Thanks @Lars !

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

@rlgleason51, don't worry, there's no downside to having downloaded 1Password directly from us. In fact the Mac App Store version and our AgileBits Store version have never been closer to being identical due to 1Password 7 now being sandboxed in both.

@ahankins on behalf of Lars you're welcome.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ahankins - you're quite welcome! Glad I was able to help. :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@JamesHenderson - no worries. Oh, and it's Rudy, not Rudi -- he won't see notifications for it...but I'll tell him you're all set. :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.