Nested tags

rlgleason51
rlgleason51
Community Member

If I create nested tags in 1p7 for mac, will they show up as nested on my ops devices? Windows?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@rlgleason51 - they should. The feature is new, so there's always the possibility for bugs, but 1Password 7 for Windows also has a nested tags feature.

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member

Thanks. Next Question: How do you create them? I checked your various help sites/menus and could not find the answer.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rlgleason51,

A nested tag can be created by using the / symbol. So the tag layer1/layer2/layer3 will create two nested tags inside of layer1 and layer1/layer2/layer3A would be a second tag in the deepest layer and so on. While some versions of 1Password still need to catch up the fact that they're still just individual tags means the others will still display the same details but won't be arranged quite as nicely. I hope that helps :smile:

• dhruve
    dhruve
    Community Member

Hey @littlebobbytables, is there any other way to create nested tags? for Example, I have a tag, 'Finance', a tag 'Bank' and a tag 'Credit Card', and would like to move the entire tag 'Bank' and 'Credit Card' into 'Finance'. Is this possible without individually editing the tags of each item?
    Perhaps some sort of drag-n-drop feature could be introduced in the next 1Password update to enable this? This drag -n-drop could then also be used to easily move tags out of parent tags.

• rudy
    edited May 2018

We definitely want to allow drag&drop of tags. In the mean time you can click on the tag in the sidebar to cause it to enter edit mode, put the cursor at the beginning and type Finance/ to move the tag as a Nested tag to the Finance tag..

Rudy

• dhruve
    dhruve
    Community Member

Hey @rudy, thank you for that. It's saved me quite a bit of time already :)
    I guess at the moment, there is no easy way to remove a tag from a parent tag?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dhruve - that's correct, not just yet. Nested tags is a feature we hope to refine and improve over time, but for now, rudy's suggestions are the simplest available.

This discussion has been closed.