1P 6 and 1P 7 Backup Compatibility

zerofivenataku
zerofivenataku
Community Member

Hello, I run 1P 6 on all my machines currently and use a wlan server for sync. This causes some issues, so my workaround is to use the backup in a shared folder to sync multiple desktop clients. It's worked well for me.

I downloaded 1P 7 and discovered thankfully, wlan sync is still there. I made a backup from 1P 7 and was able to successfully migrate that new data back in 1P 6 on a machine that cannot upgrade past Mac OS 10.11.

Does agilebits intend to continue to support backup backwards compatibility? This is the main deciding factor in my purchasing 1P 7 upgrade, and given Apple's aggressive OS support cutoffs, I am probably not the only person using stand alone no subscription and using multiple Macs.

Thanks,

1Password Version: 6, 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11, 10.13
Sync Type: wlan

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @zerofivenataku! You're almost certainly not the only person, but the setup you described certainly isn't a common one - or a supported one. At least, not the way I read it. Can you tell me specifically what you mean by "use the backup in a shared folder?" Do you mean you're making the Backups folder in your user library a shared folder that other instances of 1Password can access and restore from? Something else? What folder are you referring to, and what files are contained within it?

To be clear, 1Password 7 for Mac requires 10.12 or higher. This wasn't a decision we took lightly, but there were technical reasons why we needed to set a cutoff. Apple will begin deploying betas of 10.14 soon, and we need to be ready for that. Including El Cap would mean four different OS versions to support, and we just had to make the decision to leave 6.8.9 as the most-current for those still rocking El Capitan.

• zerofivenataku
    zerofivenataku
    Community Member

Lars, here's my multi-computer with wlan sync solution.

Desktop iMac is the wlan sync host, and my iPhones and iPads all sync over the wlan with it. Works very well.

Then to add my older Mac OS 10.11 MBP into the mix, I have the default 1P backup folder mirrored onto our networked Drobo, and then every so often when I need to refresh the vault on the laptop, I go to preferences -> backup on the MBP, use the 'find backup' feature, navigate to the latest backup file from the iMac, and then restore on the MBP from that file. It's worked quite well and hasn't ever thrown any errors or given me trouble.

I did do this process just this morning with 1P 7 on the iMac, and 1P 6 on the MBP to verify it works, though I wanted to confirm that this backup backwards compatibility is intended and not just accidental, and will keep working for the foreseeable future.

Thanks,

• @zerofivenataku,

Its completely accidental. There is a very good chance that at some point in the future you'll attempt to restore v6 from a v7 backup and it will tell you you can't open the database.

If you're going to manually sync, I would suggest using OPVault or 1pif instead of attempting to make use of the backups as an intermediary. The database schemas do change from version to version and are not guaranteed to be restorable by older versions of the software.

Rudy

• zerofivenataku
    zerofivenataku
    Community Member

Thanks @rudy

Is there a guide on using OPVault for manual syncing, and is this compatible across 1P 6, 1P 7, and 1P on iPhone and iPad all running together?

• @zerofivenataku,

You'd probably do something similar to https://support.1password.com/new-device/#move-your-data-with-a-usb-flash-drive for the computers, and continue using WLAN for the iPhone and iPad.

Rudy

• zerofivenataku
    zerofivenataku
    Community Member

Thanks @rudy , this should be able to maintain compatibility between a mac running 1P6 and 1P7 for the foreseeable future, as it uses the newer OPVault format?

• @zerofivenataku,

Correct, OPVault is definitely what you'll want to use. AgileKeychain support was retired in 1P7.

Rudy

This discussion has been closed.