To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Installing new version on my wife's Mac

esophoria
esophoria
Community Member

I have just updated my 1password to ver 7. My wife is currently running version 6. Can I update her Mac? If so, I want to make sure all of her passwords remain and she won't be able to see my passwords. I have also started the monthly subscription.

What do I need to do to accomplish this?

1Password Version: 7.00
Extension Version: 4.7.1
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: Cloud

Comments

• Hi @esophoria

Thanks for taking the time to write in. To get a better idea of how to answer this question for you I have a couple questions of my own:

• Is the subscription you signed up for a 1Password Families membership?
    • If so, have you invited your wife to that membership, and has she set up an account?
    • Has she moved her data into the membership?

1Password 7 for Mac is included with membership, but it would be a separate purchase otherwise. If she is using the membership, has her account all set up, and has her data within her account, then all she needs to do is download the new version:

Password manager for Mac, Windows, iOS, Android, Chrome, Safari, Linux | 1Password

If she is currently using a standalone license, and not a membership, then when she installs 1Password 7 she'll be prompted to either start a membership or purchase a new license. The better option here is almost certainly going to be getting her on board a 1Password Families membership with you.

Ben

• esophoria
    esophoria
    Community Member

I believe I have signed up for an individual membership not a family membership.

I have not invited her to my account. On her Mac I used family sharing to download her 1password Ver 6 app. Her vault is totally separate from my vault.

So how do I bring her in to a family membership? What is the cost? It this included in the $3.99 fee I will be paying?

• @esophoria

You can upgrade your individual membership to a 1Password Families membership by clicking "Invite People" in the sidebar of your https://my.1password.com/ admin console. 1Password Families is $4.99 / mo when billed annually (one payment up front for the 12 month period). To keep your data separate you should invite your wife to create her own account within your membership, using the "Invite People" link. She can migrate her data using the same process you would have:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• esophoria
    esophoria
    Community Member

I did what you wrote but do have some additional questions.

My wife's account app has been updated to Ver 6.9-- I can't find the new version, 1password7, in the AppStore.

I've update my account to a family account-- but my wife needed to put in a credit card to update her account -- and will she be billed on her credit card?

Seems now like we have a family account...but I am unsure what the total cost will be? Can you enlighten me.

Thanks,

-Michael

• esophoria
    esophoria
    Community Member

Seems we have a problem. I missed the screen to invite my wife. So I created a family account on her Mac. Now we have two family accounts ...which I am now paying for. Can we cancel her original one and the associated payments from them?

• esophoria
    esophoria
    Community Member

More issues now...wish I hadn't started this....now on my wife's computer...she has lost her vault and she has no saved passwords. How do we get the older vault back?

• Hi @esophoria

I’m sorry for the delayed reply. With the launch of 1Password 7 for Mac we’ve seen a huge influx in requests. I’d like to loop back on this and see if we can’t get it all squared away for you. It sounds like the main difficulty here stems from your wife signing up for her own membership, instead of accepting an invite to create an account within yours. The first step in rectifying that, if you haven’t already done so, is going to be to invite her into your membership:

https://support.1password.com/family-sharing/#invite-your-family

She will then accept this invite, and create an account inside your membership. Then she can move her data from the membership that she created (or wherever it currently is) into that new account:

https://support.1password.com/move-share-items/

The she will want to cancel the subscription on the membership that she created to avoid being billed:

https://support.1password.com/manage-subscription/

Once she has done that she can sign out of the membership she created.

I hope that helps!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.