App Store version.

Blava
Blava
Community Member
edited May 2018 in Mac

1Password v.7 needs to be downloaded individually from the App Store as an update for v.6.8.9? Do I have that right? Why there is no direct update?

1Password Version: 6.8.9
_Extension Version:
Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.6
_Sync Type:
Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Blava,

1Password 7 is a brand new app in the Mac App Store and as a result, it does need to be downloaded separately.

The Mac App Store does not allow for paid upgrades without creating a new app, and since 1Password 7 was a paid upgrade it means that we had to go this route. Creating a new app means that everybody, even those with who have a 1Password membership and get this upgrade for free, will need to download and install it. If you are interested, I wrote about this in more detail here.

• Blava
    Blava
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

Thanks, Jeff.
    So. After reading through a few threads and skimming through info you provided It looks like:

• App Strore version is membership only.

• App Store version does not sync through iCloud.

• Licensed version bought from your site does sync through the iCloud.

• Licensed version will be paid upgrade when version 8 comes out.

That leads to 3 more questions:

• I happen to have a licensed versions as well (v.3 & v.5). How much is an upgrade say from v.5? I do not seem to find that info.

• Does it mean that licensed version when used with membership will no longer sync via iCloud?

• What does the membership account syncs through and how secure is it compared to iCloud?

• Those are great questions, let me take them one at a time.

Q: How much is an upgrade say from v.5?

Either a 1Password membership or a 1Password 7 for Mac license is required when upgrading:

• A 1Password membership is as low as $2.99 per month.

• A license upgrade to 1Password 7 is $64.99 but we are currently running a launch special which reduces that to $49.99. To keep things simple everyone can get the launch special pricing while it is available, regardless of previous version.

Q: Does it mean that licensed version when used with membership will no longer sync via iCloud?

A 1Password membership allows you access to all the 1Password.com features but will also allow you to also use standalone vaults in 1Password 7. This means that you can continue to sync a vault through iCloud if you choose. This is an advanced set up to be honest, so is not one we recommend widely, but there are cases where this is necessary and as such it is possible.

Q: What does the membership account syncs through and how secure is it?

1Password memberships sync vaults automatically through our 1Password.com service. It is both convenient and very secure.

1Password protects your data regardless of which sync method you choose, but from the start we built our 1Password.com service to be the most secure way of syncing 1Password yet. Our end-to-end encryption security model ensures all your information is encrypted before it ever leaves your device. The encryption keys are only accessible to you so we are never able to decrypt any of your data. Your Master Password (which only you know), is combined with a new concept called the Secret Key to make our encryption even stronger, and we use many additional techniques like Secure Remote Password to further protect your data.

You can take a detailed read of How 1Password protects your data when you use a sync service to see how the various methods compare.

I hope that helps :)

This discussion has been closed.