1p7 animations feel very sluggish

steven1
steven1
Community Member

-Animations feel sluggish, moving between items I can see each section being redrawn one at a time rather than being snappy
-opening and closing the sidebar is very, very sluggish

If I was a new user I would be very put off as the whole thing has eye candy but does not feel 'polished' at all. Hope this can be fixed early in an update.

Thanks
Steve

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ivan_K
    Ivan_K
    Community Member

Just updated from v6. Have also noticed this.

Well, I am sure the polish will come in later updates. But yes, definitely got used to "smooth sailing" with v6.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Ivan_K: Thanks for the feedback! Indeed, we'll continue to refine it with each update. Ca you be more specific about where you're seeing this though?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

-Animations feel sluggish, moving between items I can see each section being redrawn one at a time rather than being snappy

@steven1: In what context? My Mac is pretty old, but I can't say I've noticed any slowdown like you're describing.

It isn't sluggish. That's the intended speed. It sounds like you just want it animated faster. Is that correct? It's certainly something we can consider.

If I was a new user I would be very put off as the whole thing has eye candy but does not feel 'polished' at all. Hope this can be fixed early in an update.

Please be specific about the things you think need "polish". We're looking forward to continuing to iterate on the new design and are happy for the feedback! :)

• Ivan_K
    Ivan_K
    Community Member

@brenty mostly the sluggishness is seen in:

1) Opening and closing the sidebar, as @steven1 has mentioned.

After reading your comment above my first thought was that 1 Password 7 animations task the GPU too much. I am running top spec MacBook Pro 13" 2016 (with i7-6567U) and using it together with LG 5K display (two displays setup). However I have just plugged out the external display and the animation is just the same. Now the button to close the sidebar pops up super smoothly in both instances, the process of closing the sidebar however is not.

2) When clicking on different items in vault the content loads in parts. This happens pretty much with each item that has notes in it as well. All the content is visible straight away and then notes are "loaded".

• steven1
    steven1
    Community Member

In what context? My Mac is pretty old, but I can't say I've noticed any slowdown like you're describing.

In the main window, click on an item with its details on the right. If you have multiple sections (and indeed custom sections) it feels sluggish.

Having played with it a bit more, it appears whenever there is a non-empty Note section. I suspect this is due to the Markdown support in Notes, but it is very noticable as the Notes section gets redrawn last.

It isn't sluggish. That's the intended speed. It sounds like you just want it animated faster. Is that correct? It's certainly something we can consider.

That may be the intended speed, but it looks like 3 distinct steps rather than a smooth animation.

Please be specific about the things you think need "polish". We're looking forward to continuing to iterate on the new design and are happy for the feedback!

I just did :-) the animations feel sluggish.

Thanks Brenty!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

In the main window, click on an item with its details on the right. If you have multiple sections (and indeed custom sections) it feels sluggish. Having played with it a bit more, it appears whenever there is a non-empty Note section. I suspect this is due to the Markdown support in Notes, but it is very noticable as the Notes section gets redrawn last.

@steven1: Ah, you're 100% right. We're working to see if we can improve performance for Markdown rendering. Thanks for bringing this up!

ref: apple-107

That may be the intended speed, but it looks like 3 distinct steps rather than a smooth animation.

Hmm. Part of that could be CoreAnimation skipping frames rather than playing it more slowly, but we'll look into this. There may be some inconsistency on different setups.

I just did :-) the animations feel sluggish. Thanks Brenty!

Haha fair enough. Likewise, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. :chuffed:

• skatch
    skatch
    Community Member

I've also noticed the sluggishness @brenty mentioned. If I open 1Password mini and type a few letters to search, the animated transition is jerky (the animation where the source list collapses & the login details view moves in from the right). This is on a MacBook Air.

On a positive note, it looks like Markdown rendering is much faster now compared to the initial 1pwd 7 release. I was seeing the same issue where it took a second for notes to appear, and with the latest version they appear instantly as I browse items. Nice work to whoever's responsible for the drastic speedup!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@skatch - thanks for the feedback. :) Testing this out on my 2014 5K iMac, the animations feel quite zippy indeed. Again, some of this may be down to personal preference, but I can't imagine all of it is. If you're willing to take a short video and upload it to Dropbox or a site where we can examine it, we'd have a much better idea of what you're referring to.

• skatch
    skatch
    Community Member

Sure thing. I just made a short screen capture that shows performance on my laptop. Can I send it via email? Tried to hide the most sensitive info but there's still some that I don't want to post here on the forums.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@skatch: Sure! support+forum@agilebits.com — and post the Support ID you receive here, please. :)

• skatch
    skatch
    Community Member

Done. Support ID #TQU-81972-454.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@skatch: Thanks! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you shortly! :)

ref: TQU-81972-454

This discussion has been closed.