Lock icon no longer present

steven1
steven1
Community Member

The lock icon in the top right of the main window has been removed. It was useful to have it there...was it lack of screen real estate that caused its removal?

Keyboard shortcut is still there, but it would nice to have the lock icon in the main window.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @steven1,

I think in part it was to make the anchored windows and the main window more consistent. Between the keyboard shortcut and the menu option it's possible we just didn't see the lock button as being used significantly. Of course if we see demand for its return it is possible it will do so.

• Robs
    Robs
    Community Member

I miss the Lock icon as well.
    It's not something I use very often, but when I needed to lock 1Password manually, it was just easier to find the icon than to hunt for the option in the menu. (And I never remember the keyboard shortcut)

• bh444
    bh444
    Community Member

I can probably live without the lock icon, but do agree that there needs to be an icon somewhere that will lock the program. I'll configure it to lock when closed. Locking when minimized would be nice.

A four character keyboard shortcut is a non-starter for my older relatives and a lot harder to explain than 'click on the lock'. Just had to reteach one of them about the cut and paste shortcuts.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018

1Password has sane defaults for autolocking, and you can tighten those too if desired. But we'll definitely continue to listen to feedback in case others would like a dedicated lock button in addition to the keyboard shortcut and menu item. Thanks for taking the time to share yours! :)

• gullevek
    gullevek
    Community Member

I also wish for the return of the lock Icon. While a keyboard shortcut is nice, I always used the lock Icon because most of the time I had my hand on the mouse (or trackpad) anyway.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @gullevek! Thanks for weighing in on this request. :)

• M_Windsor
    M_Windsor
    Community Member

I would welcome the return of the lock button. Very nice to find password or info then click lock button to shut 1password.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @M_Windsor! Thanks for letting us know your wishes on this subject. :)

• cyberzeus
    cyberzeus
    Community Member
    edited September 2019

+1 for bringing back the lock icon...

Also, as a suggestion, it might be good to publish a forum item a few weeks in advance of removing\changing features especially those that are relate to the UX\UI. Having worked in SW dev, it is my experience that the dev team often has little to no visibility as to what the users like because we as humans tend to speak up only when things break...not when things work well. This lock icon I feel is a great example. Agile dev probably thought it was a little used feature when in fact, I bet a lot of folks liked having it.

So, use an advance forum post to solicit user feedback which could then help fine tune which features to keep\remove.

MHO...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@cyberzeus: The lock icon was removed over a year ago after an extensive public beta test (which was announced in the forum), and yours was the only comment on this discussion since June 2018. I have seen a few others mention it since then, but it really hasn't come up much at all. We'll continue to track feedback from everyone, but at this stage it seems unlikely that this particular button will be making a return. You can still lock from the 1Password menu manually if needed, but most people find that settings in Preferences > Security to have 1Password do this automatically when not in use is much more useful.

• cyberzeus
    cyberzeus
    Community Member

Well then, one really can't argue with confirmation bias... :=)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2019

You might think so, but you'd be mistaken. I don't care one way or the other if there is an extra button for locking. I'm just telling you the reality, based on many thousands of customer interactions over the past year. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

This discussion has been closed.