Trashed items of vault deleted if I delete vault?

VaultGuy
VaultGuy
Community Member

Hey,

my usual strategy if there's a website that doesn't exist any more was to move the Password entry to a vault called "Archived Logins" so I can still look stuff up or see if I was registered at a website etc

I realized that I should probably just trash it and use the trash as my "Archived Logins" place if I never delete it.

Now my question is: If I trash all my items in "Archived Logins" vault (so they end up in the trash) and then delete the (now) empty "Archived Logins" vault will these items that are originally from the "Archived Logins" vault be deleted too or stay in the trash?

I guess it boils down to if trashed items are still part of a vault or if the trash is global.

Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @VaultGuy,

The Trash is per vault rather than a global Trash. So deleting the vault would cause all of those items to completely disappear.

Of the possible scenarios I kind of prefer your archive vault. That way if you ever want to clear out the Trash for a particular vault you're not stuck because there are items you do really want to keep. The archive vault can be excluded from your All Vaults so it doesn't interfere with your day to day usage.

If you do decide to go down the route of using Trash this way I think the easiest way to do so would be as follows.

1. Add a unique tag to one of the items in the archive vault.
    2. Select all items in the archive vault and drag to the new tag to have it added to everything.
    3. Move all the items back into your primary vault.
    4. Delete the archive vault.
    5. With the primary vault active, select the tag added in step 1 and use that to allow you to quickly select all the items just moved and delete in one step.

The archive vault though feels like a more robust setup. I don't have too may entries like this so at the moment I'm just using a tag to identify them. When that list begins to grow a bit I'll probably use a new vault like you're currently doing.

• VaultGuy
    VaultGuy
    Community Member

Hey,

thanks for the detailed explanation! That really helps and I'll continue with my "Archived" vault strategy.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@VaultGuy - on behalf of littlebobbytables, you're quite welcome. As a user of a dedicated "Archives" vault myself, I can confirm it makes a lot of sense. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.