1password X for 1password 7 standalone?

Hello, I've just purchased 1password 7 for myself and for my dad for an early father's day gift while he's still fresh in the beta license discount, and I wanted to know if it was possible to use the 1password X extension for the standalone license on either mac or windows at this point? I've currently just relied on the 1password extension that requires the standalone app for windows, though I didn't know if 1password X would also support standalone in addition to subscription currently on either platform. If not I can continue to use the 1password chrome extension that relies on the desktop app, so this isn't a huge concern. I wasn't sure for the mac though on which extension I should install on his macbook.

1Password Version: 7.0 (70000019 - mac)/7.0.552 (win)
Extension Version: 4.7.1.90
OS Version: 10.13.4 (mac)/1803 (win)
Sync Type: Local (resilio sync)

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@cellsheet: Thanks for getting in touch! Glad to hear you're enjoying 1Password 7 — and will be gifting it to a loved one. It is not, however, possible to use 1Password X as a "standalone" app with local vaults, as it depends on 1Password.com to store the data since it is meant to function without the native apps. You may want to consider a 1Password Families membership though, since that will get you all of the apps, and allow you to share 1Password — and vaults — with even more family members. It also makes it possible for you to help them recover their accounts if they get locked out. Something to think about. :)

• cellsheet
    cellsheet
    Community Member

Thank you for the information!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@cellsheet: You're very welcome! Have a great weekend! :chuffed:

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Just to add my 2 cents, I do exactly this. I log in and type my password in the app, set it not to lock until I actually shut down the machine, then open it and type "1pass" to copy my password into the 1password X extension to unlock that and set it not to lock (it does lock if you close out the browser completely though). Just I prefer the way X handles Firefox over the other extension. They should be two different shortcuts but you can set that in settings.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hey @dfontaine! This post was originally asking if 1Password X is available with the standalone version of 1Password that uses a license. I'm confused as to how your comment relates, so I wanted to ask for some clarification. If you're using 1Password X, it sounds like you have a 1Password.com account with us. Could you let me know where standalone vaults/licenses come into play?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

I may have misunderstood but I thought he was wanting to use the X extension with the application that is installed on the os instead of using the non-X extension and was just throwing out how I have my setup. Then again it was first thing in the morning so I didn't even notice this was from a year ago...

• No worries. The OP was asking about using 1Password X without a 1Password membership, which isn't possible. :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.