What is suggested method of upgrading to ver. 7 ?

iceout
iceout
Community Member
edited May 2018 in Mac

What is the recommended way to upgrade if I have the MAS version 6 with a standalone license and I have purchased a new standalone license for version 7 during the BETA from your website? I did not put the beta on the same machine as version 6 yet but now that version 7 is released I want to go ahead and install version 7 on my machine that has the MAS version 6.

Should I download the new MAS version 1Password7 and apply my standalone license to it or do I have to download from your site now? Either way how do I move from 6 to 7 since it doesn't look like version 7 upgrades version 6 but is instead a new app.

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@iceout - I'm not 100% sure what you're asking me. What I learned from your post is that you have two Macs; one on which you purchased the beta-priced license for 1Password 7, and another on which you have 1Password 6 from the Mac App Store. Do those two share the same data? Or is one (or both) a "test" Mac with data different from the other one? If you're using a standalone setup synced via either Dropbox or iCloud, all you really need to do is install 1Password 7 onto this second Mac. Yes, you'll need to download from us, because the Mac App Store version doesn't have any way to "know" that you purchased a license from us.

In 1Password 7, we use iCloud to keep your license file in sync so it’s available on all your Macs as soon as you license the first one. If your two Macs both have iCloud Keychain and use the same iCloud account, you shouldn’t need to do anything.

If your second Mac is using a different iCloud account or not using iCloud, you’ll have to license 1Password manually. Here’s how:

• Once you download and install version 7, you should get asked to import your existing data from version 6, and after that, you’ll see the same “Subscribe today!” banner you saw on your first Mac.
    • Click the “Need a license?” link at the bottom of that window just as you did on your other Mac, then on the second screen, click “buy license” again.
    • Once you’ve unlocked 1Password with your Master Password, this will open the same window to the Fastspring store you saw on your first Mac when you purchased.
    • Close the Fastspring window with the red gem at the top left of the window,
    • Open the original license email you received from FastSpring, which will have a copy of your license file.
    • Double click the license file to download the license into your Downloads folder.
    • Finally, double-click the license file in your Downloads folder to license 1Password 7.

That should take care of everything, but let us know if you have any questions or run into any snags.

This discussion has been closed.