Subscriber upgrade to version 7?

rtpete
rtpete
Community Member

I am a subscriber to 1Password and currently using version 6 from the Mac App Store.
1 - Which version do you recommend for the upgrade? Mac App Store or website version.
2 - Should I delete version 6 prior to installing the new version or does installing the new version take care of that?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rtpete,

You can use either version, whichever you prefer :smile: If you decide you like having the App Store either automatically install updates or notify you then you can stay with 1Password from the Mac App Store.

If you decide to stick with the Mac App Store path then I would recommend the following.

1. Quit 1Password using the keyboard shortcut ⌃⌥⌘Q.
    2. Move the 1Password application bundle to the Trash.
    3. Download 1Password 7 from the Mac App Store.
    4. Launch.

The AgileBits Store version, the one direct from our site does do something a little differently as part of the installer. It creates a ZIP file of the existing 1Password application bundle and leaves it in your /Applications/ folder. Whether it's a ZIP file or the application is moved to the Trash, the net result is this other copy of 1Password can't start trying to fight with 1Password 7 for control of anything. Both routes will still allow you to easily return to 1Password 6 for any reason as you can either extract the contents of the ZIP file or return the 1Password 6 application bundle from the Trash to its previous location in /Applications/.

If you have any concerns about the process please do say, we do want you to feel confident about making the move before you start as feeling like you're locked out of your passwords for any reason is never fun.

This discussion has been closed.