Upgrade from 1Password Version 6.8.9 (689000) Mac App Store to Version 7 from Mac App Store

sbauer
sbauer
Community Member

I have been using 1Password for years purchased from the Mac App Store, so I'm running 1Password 6.8.9. I installed 1Password 7 from the App Store and opened it. I want to purchase my subscription as an in app purchase, and continue synching to my vault stored on Dropbox. It is asking me for a new password (for my vault?). I'm pretty confused. I don't want to loose access to all the data in my current vault.

1Password Version: 1Password Version 6.8.9 (689000) Mac App Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: mac os 10.13.4
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:sb10

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @sbauer! 1Password 7 for Mac will not be sold as a standalone app via the Mac App Store. You’ll have two options for upgrading to the new version: if getting your apps from the Mac App Store version is paramount, you can download 1Password 7 from the Mac App Store and switch to a 1password.com membership. Or, if you prefer to keep a standalone setup, you can download 1Password 7 for Mac from us instead and purchase a standalone license from directly with the app itself.

• jyurek
    jyurek
    Community Member

How can we do this? You say it, and the copy in the app says this, but I cannot find a link to a standalone purchase on your website. I, too, would like to not have to have an account and would prefer the standalone experience I've been having so far. But I can't, despite what you're telling me.

• MacSupport
    MacSupport
    Community Member

I also can't find the link to purchase a stand-alone version.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jyurek and @MacSupport

...download 1Password 7 for Mac from us instead and purchase a standalone license from directly with the app itself.

When you run 1Password 7 for the first time after downloading from our website, you should be presented with a link to purchase directly within the app itself. If not, you can use this link: https://1password.onfastspring.com/in-app/1password-7-for-mac -- but you cannot use this with the Mac App Store version of 1Password 7. If you want to use 1Password via the Mac App Store, you will need to subscribe to a 1Password membership. If you want to use 1Password in standalone mode, you should download 1Password 7 directly from our downloads page and pay via the FastSpring link.

• MacSupport
    MacSupport
    Community Member

Perfect. Thanks!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@MacSupport - you're quite welcome! Glad I was able to assist. :)

• Stilgar
    Stilgar
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

What are the licensing terms for the stand-alone app?

I'm in the same situation as sbauer...I purchased 1password 3 through the App Store years ago and have been upgrading through that. One of the reasons for this was because the App Store terms allow me to install on any computer I own or control. I suspect the stand-alone version on your web site no longer allows me to license this way.

I also have several family members sharing a computer and we all have iOS devices with 1password, so I suspect I'm going to be steered into a family plan. The family plan says up to five family members, but how many devices does that cover per family member?

• @Stilgar You can install 1Password 7 using a license on as many Macs as you own. :) To share it with your family, you can use 1Password Families instead, or each person in your family can purchase their own license – it's a per-person thing.

The family plan says up to five family members, but how many devices does that cover per family member?

Every device they have on every platform. 1Password Families makes things a lot simpler by giving you and everyone in your family all you need to use 1Password.

• luke1709
    luke1709
    Community Member

One question, I am confused: I was billed my annual license on May, 28, means yesterday. I used 1 PW 6 up to now, is this license not valid for 1 PW 7? I deinstalled the 6 version an installed the new version 7 but i am not able to login. It only says I can create a new trial month with another email adress as my standard one... So do I get the license back if I`m buying version 7 or do I have to use the version 6 for the next year I purchased in advance?

• @luke1709 Sorry about the confusion. I see you've emailed us as well so I'll reach out to you there to work out the issue signing in to your account.

ref: PSS-11447-772

• macthecaptain
    macthecaptain
    Community Member

Are the migration instructions on what to do to port Password 6.8.9 info to Password7 somewhere I can printout? I also don't get how to put Password7 on my other iMac. I run 6.8.9 on my MacPowerbook only today but want it on both. Can you point me to help?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@macthecaptain - do you have a 1password.com account, or are you using 1Password 6 for Mac in standalone mode? And if the latter, will you want to be moving to a 1password.com account/membership or sticking with standalone? There are instructions for everything, but how you go about it definitely depends on what specifically you're intending to do and where you're starting from.

• macthecaptain
    macthecaptain
    Community Member

Lars, thank you for responding. I am in standalone mode now, 6.8.9, and intend to stay in 1Password7 standalone. I know I have to purchase and not upgrade. Thanks for your help and in pointing me to the process descriptions.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@macthecaptain - so if all you need to do is go from 1Password 6 for Mac to 1Password 7 for Mac, it should be pretty simple. Basic instructions can be found here but feel free to let us know if you have any questions. :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@macthecaptain - don't forget, you'll need the version from our downloads page, not the Mac App Store version, as we no longer sell standalone 1Password via the Mac App Store as of version 7. :)

This discussion has been closed.