1Password 7 Sidebar Wasted Space

bh444
bh444
Community Member

Just upgraded from family multi-platform standalone to family subscription. Longtime user of this essential program. 700+ entries. Wife and I use one vault, 2 older family members have their own vaults with 10 or so entries each. They are currently using 1Password 4 Windows. I've been trying for years to get them to replace sticky notes and password lists sitting next to their computers with little luck. Bought a $125/$99 gift card so I am committed and you guys deserve to get paid.

Left sidebar suggestions, other than bugs reported elsewhere. I can live with them but some of these new UI designs drive me crazy.

1. The left sidebar is now shows significantly less data, just a lot of white/grey space. I can't see all of my categories unless I full screen it on my macbook. Reminds me of recent Google 'upgrades'.

2. It is focused on areas that are rarely used. Top entry is to see, create and change vaults which is something I will do rarely, and the other members of my family will do never. Check Watchtower is something I will do occasionally, and the other members of my family will do never. Find things with categories and tags, which I use a lot.

3. It is a lot less readable grey text on grey background theme with a custom and almost invisible scroll bar.

Would also love a really simple view for my older family members that just shows URL, username, password, just like that sheet of paper next to their computers.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bh444,

I apologise, it may be not enough coffee yet but are we talking about the main 1Password window? If we are I'm wondering if you knew that the three main panes are all resizable.

So these two are show the frankly silly extremes which they can be resized and I doubt anybody would want either. Slightly more sensible is

and you can see that Watchtower has also been collapsed to reduce it's screen presence. That you can do via the > and buttons in the sidebar.

I admit I have a slight advantage here. I have a vault stuffed entirely full of fake data because of all the testing I do and that makes for a great example vault should I need to create a screenshot to help somebody. You don't want to do this because your screenshot would contain real data which you don't want visible in a public setting such as our forums. Do these images at least match what you're seeing? I set 1Password to take up the top half of the screen to create the screenshots just so this didn't become a mammoth post that you had to scroll through to view everything.

• bh444
    bh444
    Community Member

Yes I am talking about the main window, left hand side. It is about wasted space, not resizing. Here is a screenshot that illustrates the issues. IN the v6 version you can see all the categories, in the v7 one you can't because of extra padding around the UI elements, the watchtower function moved up, and the vault name/account name is larger due to the extra account info.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

We've specifically had many requests to the contrary — to make 1Password more usable by increasing the size of some elements and allowing it to better make use of more screen real estate, especially the main app window — but we'll continue to listen to feedback and iterate on the design over time. Thanks for your input! :)

• TonyHall
    TonyHall
    Community Member

@brenty

We've specifically had many requests to the contrary — to make 1Password more usable by increasing the size of some elements and allowing it to better make use of more screen real estate

But in the example above the size of the elements (text and icons) in the Categories section are exactly the same, just the padding space inbetween the elements has been increased. I'm unconvinced that simply spacing things out makes anything "more usable".

Myself and others have previously stated they'd prefer density and efficiency of information over eye candy and a trendy UI.

1Password is a utility - accessing information quickly and efficiently should be it's primary goal, looking cool should be secondary.

I'm hoping a compromise can be found in the future, but I appreciate you can't please all of the people all of the time.

As a start, maybe allow 1P's sidebar to utilise the System Preference General > Sidebar icon size. I have this set to 'Small' to provide a denser display of information in the Finder, unfortunately all that does for 1P is make the sidebar text smaller, the icons and padding remain unchanged.

Many thanks.

• bh444
    bh444
    Community Member

@brenty

Thanks for your response. Perhaps it isn't a one size fits all. To get rid of the scroll bar and to see all of the categories and trash can, on my 13" macbook pro retina I have to put the app in full screen which I dislike. On my Mac Mini with 32" monitor, I can resize it to a window that is 8.5" vertical which is fine. Configurability would be nice I guess.

• Sheza
    Sheza
    Community Member

It's quite common for apps and websites to have a 'compact view' option...

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

But in the example above the size of the elements (text and icons) in the Categories section are exactly the same, just the padding space inbetween the elements has been increased.

Agreed. Seeing them side by side it is so clear what a downgrade in usability the new sidebar is. I understand there was a lot of hard work done on these designs before we ever saw them, but customers don't like them so it's time to get back to the drawing board. It feels from the outside that the 1Password team has devolved into a bubble of self-righteous, lets-all-pat-each-other-on-the-back mentality where they can do no wrong, whether its in pushing memberships at every turn or making bad design choices.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@TonyHall: You'll have to excuse a bit of skepticism, but the criticism of "trendy UI" is the same we received when we released 1Password 6 — and every major update prior. You may not have been in that camp in 2016, but there does seem to be a period of adjustment anytime we update the app in any visible way. Part of that is change is hard and we get used to it only after living with it for a while — usually longer than a week. ;) But the other part is that we'll take all of the feedback we receive and make adjustments over time too. Those will be less noticeable, so we may just trick you into being okay with it subtly in the coming weeks and months. While I can't promise any specific changes at this point, we'll certainly take your suggestions into account as well. Thank you for taking the time to share them! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bh444: I think we generally try to shy away from "configurability" since we want all 1Password users to have a solid experience, not require users to tweak settings to get a good UI. But you're right that that necessarily means we'll have to make some adjustments as a result of feedback that will be great for many but less so for others. We don't want people to have to work to make 1Password usable, so it's on us to keep working to strike the right balance. Thanks for your input on this. We definitely have 13" MacBook Pro users here as well. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018

@whiteblade: "Customers don't like them" is overwhelmingly not what we've seen on social media, via email, and even here in the forums. Certainly some people don't like some of the changes we've made. We'll continue to tweak things to make even more people happy though, so thank you for sharing your thoughts on this as well.

I'm not sure of where the rest of your comments are coming from. I think if you actually knew us you'd be ashamed of saying some of those things. But it's on us to keep making 1Password better so hopefully you don't mind using it in spite of your apparent low opinion of us as human beings. Take care.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Sheza: That's a good point, and I haven't quite seen it made in that way. I guess to use 1Password mini is our "compact view". But certainly nothing's set in stone, and we'll continue to evaluate what we can improve there and in the main 1Password window's design to make the app more useful. Thank you! :)

• bh444
    bh444
    Community Member

@brently

Let me start by saying that 1Password is an essential program in my life and you guys do a great job. Recently retired developer here and I'm totally impressed with AgileBits and 1Password. This UI discussion is about less than 1% of the product and in all honesty, doesn't change the overall usability of the programs, but I do like a more compact, less dark design.

I really like the mini view and the improvements there, and moving from 1Password 4 to 7 on Windows clearly shows what years of continuous improvement works wonders. I just started using the web version as I just started my subscription and that is impressive as well.

The side panel and the main panel where you see you account details all look slightly different in Windows 7 beta, Web, Mac, and the iPad. Different platforms, different projects, different teams, all lead to slightly different implementations. It does appear that they are all evolving in the same direction. On my macbook pro, the Windows version seems to have less space, but maybe it is just relatively smaller text. And the windows version has a View->Zoom which leads me to think that this just isn't easy to do on macOS.

One side note that illustrates compactness, check out the difference in the Categories and Organize in iOS. No idea why these screens would use different layouts. I can see 10 categories but only 7 tags without scrolling on my iphone.

Keep up the awesome work.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bh444: Good eye! Indeed, while there isn't a (reasonable) way to make the app identical on all platforms, we are designing it the same overall to be more consistent. Each platform has its strengths and weaknesses. I, for one, would love to have scaling in the Mac app the way we can on Windows. Alas, maybe someday. But at the same time, I am not a huge fan of Windows typography. I'm glad I can enjoy both, for what each does best! :lol: But you're right that we can do better in many ways as well, even within the constraints. I think this is a much larger topic than this 1Password for Mac version 7 discussion, so I'll just say that these are all things that are on our minds as well as we continue to improve each of the apps. And thank you for the kind words and constructive criticism! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@adamjb: Thanks for letting us know! I feel the same way. On the other hand, if we make the sidebar narrower, we couldn't fit search results there, and I would miss that. So while I'm not sure what the solution is, I thank you for sharing your preference, and we'll keep working on it. :)

• Sheza
    Sheza
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

@brenty

Okay two things

1) Search results don't appear in the sidebar do they? They appear in the second bar on my screen....

2) Nobody is asking for the sidebar to be narrower. They're asking for the spacing to be reduced. If you look at the screenshots posted above, the sidebar is virtually identical in width, but you get way more content / categories visible on the screen in the 1Password 6 view.

I worry for the future of 1Password if basic functionality requests like this are being misunderstood. Did you fire & hire your UI team or something?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Sheza: Wow. No need to be rude. I was referring to mini with the search comment. I'm sorry for not being clearer. Have a nice day.

• Sheza
    Sheza
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

@brenty I'm not trying to be rude, sorry if I came across that way, and sorry for the crass comment about the UI team.

It is just really frustrating to me when there are real problems withe the new version of 1Password and I see staff skirting around the issue towards paying customers. Nobody in this thread apart from you and someone praising you mentioned 1Password Mini.

This thread from the point of view of the OP is solely about the sidebar in the full size version of 1Password. He has even produced screenshot evidence to show the issue. Even the person you replied to was talking about the regular size version of 1Password.

To me, it just feels like we're going around in circles here. I would appreciate some kind of consolidated statement about the concerns that users such as @bh444 have raised over the redesign.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@JamesHenderson: No worries. Similar feedback is totally allowed. Thank you! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Sheza: Okay, let's be real here: 1Password 7 has been out for a week. This is how it works. We're very appreciative of the feedback and are tracking all of it. It isn't easy. That's not a complaint, but to illustrate that if we didn't care, we simply wouldn't do it. So, bearing in mind that this is the 1Password app we have today, the only thing we can do currently is accept feedback and keep working to improve with each release hereafter. That's literally all that is possible. I cannot give you the things that you want today, or guarantee that we will make all of the changes you request. The only thing I can do is tell you sincerely that we are listening, but not only to you, also to all of the rest of our customers who are communicating with us via social media, email, and right here in the forums. I'm sorry if you're expecting something else, but that's what's possible in the short term. Anything more requires hard work on our part and patience on yours. Thanks for understanding. :blush:

• Sheza
    Sheza
    Community Member

@brenty

You see - perfect! THAT is the sort of response I am looking for from AgileBits. I know the update is new and you have a lot of feedback flooding in. I'm looking forward to seeing the improvements as they come.

I just wanted you to appreciate - and I hope you can see it now - the frustration of some replies. The OP desired a more compact view for the full size app. You initially took the suggestion on board. But then you brought up 1Password mini - when nobody else did - and claimed this meant that you didn't know what the solution is. The specific issue with the response that got me riled up was that it was not an answer to any of the problems in this thread - we're all talking about the main window.

I hope you can see how that frustrated me - it sounded like the topic was going in circles because something was brought up (1Password Mini) which was not the subject of the topic and therefore wasn't helpful to the discussion.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Sheza: Indeed, I'm sorry for any frustration I caused. My point was that there are a lot of competing considerations. It's also not easy to know exactly what each person is looking for — the tone, the level of detail (or brevity!), etc. Thanks for being patient with me. :blush:

This discussion has been closed.