Cmd + Shift + C does not copy password of server anymore

Options
2»

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@michbsd: Thank you for the feedback. It's something we're looking into. But what specifically are you having to "grab the mouse" for? A certain item type/field combination?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@RafBM: Secure Notes are not really relevant since that shortcut has never been used there. I'm not sure if we'll do something with that. But you can, for example, copy your account number from a Rewards item (I use this for frequent flier stuff a lot) with ⌘ ⇧ C. We're looking at addressing some of the more confusing interactions though (e.g. the topic of this discussion).

• RafBM
    RafBM
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I don’t want to be harsh but it sounds like you don’t understand the issue here. Maybe get another pair of eyes at AgileBits to look into it? @Jacob sounded like he understood and was trying to track down the cause in this comment.

To sum up:

1. In 1Password 6, ⌘⇧C would copy the password-type field of any type of item (eg. either Login or Password). This is as per your documentation. It’s the only shortcut I ever had to use in 1P6.
    2. In 1Password 7, ⌘⇧C still copies the password field of Login items (and Wireless Routers it seems), but it no longer copies the password field of Password items. Instead, you have to use ⌃⇧C to copy the password field of Password items, although this shortcut should be used to “Copy username” as per the doc.

At least, this is what people here are experiencing. Maybe not all users do. Maybe it’s due to some particular macOS configuration… another app that is running in parallel… I can’t tell. But I haven’t changed much of anything on my Mac and could immediately notice the regression the second I upgraded from 6 to 7.

Here’s one more example to further highlight the inconsistent shortcut behavior. See this Wireless Router item I have:

When I hit ⌘⇧C, it copies the “base station password” (1st field), and shows this notification:

This part makes sense. But when I hit ⌃⇧C, it copies the “wireless network password” (5th field) and shows this:

First field copied. This looks like a hint at ⌃⇧C now being designed to copy the “first field” of any item VS specifically copying the username field. However, in this case it did not copy the first field, but the fifth one…

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@RafBM: The original poster summed it up quite nicely:

In 1Password 7 Cmd + Shift + C does not copy password of server anymore - instead it copies "the second field" of the server entry (which in my case is either URL or username

That's what this discussion is about. That's intentional, but there are some edge cases, and we also recognize that there are some situations where it isn't desirable so we're evaluating this for future updates. Sorry for the confusion. I hope that's clearer.

• michbsd
    michbsd
    Community Member
    Options

hi @brenty
    With 1p version 6 - I would simply bring up 1p mini (with the keyboard shortcut) search for a "server item" and hit "shift+cmd+c" to grab the first password in this item - and then paste that into my shell.

Now, with 1p version 7 - I do the exact same thing, but 1p is copying the wrong field. So now I have to grab the mouse, scroll down and select copy from the password field. Doing this hundreds of times per day i quite unnerving.

Hopefully the below screenshot will make it clearer. There is no scenario where I would need to copy the IP address - my password manager should always copy my password..

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@michbsd: That's what the original poster said, and the primary topic of this discussion. As I mentioned, it's something we're aware of and evaluating this for future updates.

• michbsd
    michbsd
    Community Member
    Options

Great, thanks. Am curious to know what motivated your decision to break long-standing UX ?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@michbsd: Allowing quick access to things other than just passwords, as mentioned above. :)

• michbsd
    michbsd
    Community Member
    Options

Right. I remind you the product is called 1Password - would be great if you could actually get the password :chuffed: thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Touché. :)

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

IMO something as disruptive to workflow as changing the behavior of ⇧⌘C should be very carefully thought through, prominently documented, and included in "What's New in 1Password 7" materials. If you find it hard to pitch the change as an improvement then, well, maybe it isn't.

• sjcjonker
    sjcjonker
    Community Member
    Options

Have reverted to 1P6* due to this (and performance issues in 1P7 mini).

*) Reverted via the "long" way with find magic and simply deleted all files/dirs found and then installed 1p6 via the app-update download and signed into the family accounts portal.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@benfdc: Fair enough. It's on us to make it better so it doesn't interfere with people's workflows and enables convenient copying for even more.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sjcjonker: I'm sorry to hear that 1Password 7 doesn't currently live up to your expectations. But I'm glad you were able to stick with version 6 for now while we work to improve version 7 so it can be of more use to you. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us.

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

@brenty

As long as we're talking about reversion, I would like a way to tell 1Password 6 NOT to generate notifications about updates to 1Password 7.

I'm presently running macOS Sierra. I could upgrade to High Sierra for free, but I've chosen not to. Apple notifies me when there are updates to Sierra, but it does not notify me of updates to High Sierra. And this is as it should be.

I'm not interested in 1Password 7 updates because I'm not running 1Password 7. I could upgrade to 1Password 7 for free because I am a subscriber as well as a licenseholder, but I've chosen not to. I don't want to turn off notifications altogether, though, because you might release 6.8.10 or 6.9.0, and if you do I want to hear about it.

AgileBits prides itself on not disrupting its users' workflow by requesting App Store ratings. How about not disrupting my workflow with update notifications for software that I do not have on my Mac? It feels like you are nagging me to upgrade to 1Password 7. I don't like being nagged.

—Ben

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @benfdc,

The reality is I'm afraid that there is very unlikely to be any update to 1Password 6 now. It would take a security issue before changes to the old code were made. I understand that it feels like nagging but if you do have a 1Password account the expectation is you will update as access to the latest clients is part of the subscription cost. It's also quite possible that at some point a change in how the 1Password account works requires a certain version of 1Password, 2FA on a 1Password account being an example. If you have a version that doesn't support this you're effectively blocked on that device, something I've heard of in relation to 1Password for iOS.

I believe we do limit the notifications to versions of macOS that do support 1Password 7 although that will be of little comfort to you.

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables

1) I understand your point but my perspective on updates stands. I don't think Apple is updating Sierra any more except for security issues, but the fact remains that I do not care to receive notifications of High Sierra updates. It's worse with 1Password because updates come with much greater frequency.

2) People with 1Password accounts don't have to pay to upgrade to 1Password 7 so the only folks you lock out on account of changes to accounts will be those who are unable or unwilling to run macOS Sierra or better. The situation on other platforms is comparable. People who only have standalone licenses will not be affected by changes that relate only to subscription accounts!

I appreciate your thoughts (even though I don't agree with all of them!)

—Ben

• Ben
    Ben
    edited June 2018
    Options

You could experience the same problem on the opposite end of the spectrum if you were to experience a hardware failure and as a result ended up with the latest OS.

There are difficulties on either end.

Ben

• EKA
    EKA
    Community Member
    Options

Ah! The Favorites feature in the 1Password Mini may have solved some of the stated inefficiencies in my earlier post. A password from a Password item can be nabbed in three mouse clicks if it is a Favorite near the top.

• Ben
    Options

Glad to hear that you’ve found a potential workaround, @EKA. :)

Ben

• eb1909
    eb1909
    Community Member
    Options

+1. I have a "favorite" that I use 20 times a day - and with 1password7, command-shift-C no longer copies the password. As to the argument of forgoing that shortcut to enable other copy features, I don't need other copy features. In my use of the product, 95% of the time I am just copying the password. I'd be copying the username field the remaining 5% of the time.

Please bring back command-shift-C to copy the password!!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options
  • eb1909
    eb1909
    Community Member
    Options

Oh, great! Looking forward to stable release. There's enough Beta elsewhere in my life for now

• Ben
    Options

heh, fair enough. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.