Version 7 question: Can I move the 1Password Mini Window?

mirsky
mirsky
Community Member

Hi. I'm using version 7. Is there a way to move the 1Password mini window?

When I open it, it sits in the center of the screen and sometimes blocks the password fields. I can't seem to move the mini window to the side despite trying every key combination I could think of while dragging with the mouse.

Especially when I'm using 1Password mini to generate a password, I like to see the password fields and watch the fields get populated.

In version 6, the mini window was up near the top of the screen and did not block password fields.

Thanks.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.14
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• appleianer
    appleianer
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

@mirsky

I use the App Moom myself. Since 1Password mini disappears when triggered with a shortcut etc., I solved this problem with a Keyboard Maestro Palette.
    Of course you can also change and edit your window positions within Keyboard Maestro.

If you use BetterTouch Tool, you can also control this with a mouse or trackpad gesture.

• mirsky
    mirsky
    Community Member

appleianer, thanks for the workaround and the screen recording. I actually don't mind that the 1Password mini window disappears. I mind that I can't move it out of the way.

I currently don't use Moom or Keyboard Maestro or BetterTouch Tool. I would much rather not install another app just to move 1Passsword mini around. I would prefer to be able to just drag the 1Password mini window.

Agile, can you please consider making the window moveable?

• appleianer
    appleianer
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

The only way I see it is to drag the window to a certain position and leave it there. Each time 1Password Mini is opened, the selected position is retained.

I also mourn 1Password Mini 6 a bit here. I miss the reduction of the window when opening an account via the search input
    With version 7, the entire account information appears with user names and, if necessary, notes.
    This is very impractical when you are in public with your MBP.

• Sheza
    Sheza
    Community Member

You can drag the Mini window but it's incredibly unfriendly for the user.

You can drag at the top search area, there's a small grab-zone at the top and bottom of the search input box. Very small, but it does work.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Sheza: You're absolutely right on both counts. We'll make it more user-friendly, but for now that will work.

@appleianer, @mirsky: I find it's much easier to move when locked for the time being, in case that helps anyone else. :)

• QuadLeper
    QuadLeper
    Community Member

I liked the drop-down from the menu bar :(

• mirsky
    mirsky
    Community Member

Okay, I see now that I can move the 1Password mini window when it's asking for my password to log in. After I've logged in, I can't seem to move it. Is there a way to do? I couldn't understand all of the responses in this thread.

Also, what does "Lock" do?

Thanks.

• mirsky
    mirsky
    Community Member

Me again. Actually, now I am able to drag the 1Password mini window. I still don't understand why it didn't work before.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Hi there @mirsky

Good to hear you got it working. As for your other question, "Lock" does exactly what it implies, it locks 1Password, requiring you to enter your Master Password in order to unlock it.

• Bakari45
    Bakari45
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

Okay, the mini window in version 7 is a headache. First off, I liked the drop-down window in version 6. If I wanted the window to stay open, then all I had to do is click the anchor icon. But in 7, the mini window opens and floats and sometimes gets in the way of what I'm doing. By having the window open away from 1Password icon in the Safari toolbar, I have to drag my mouse to the window to click the login info. That’s seriously disappointing. I like the update of the design of 7, but I’m finding the functionality of version 7 a serious drag. Plus the window disappears sometimes when I need it stay open. Kinda wish I hadn’t upgraded. Version 6 was just as good as 7 in my view.

The same goes for the floating window opening away from the 1P icon in the menu bar, which also requires me to move my mouse down to the window. I’m seriously not sure why you guys chose to make that type of change. The way you had it before was great. If I wanted a floating window, all I did was trigger the shortly using BetterTouchTool.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Bakari45: You don't have to pick at all. You can use the keyboard to navigate if that's more convenient. You can also press ⌘ O to open the selected item in a separate window if you want to keep it onscreen for you while you're working. We really want people to be able to use more of the functionality of 1Password without having to go to the main window all the time, and not have to rely on 3rd party tools either. But if you do prefer to use the mouse, it's easy to drag 1Password mini while locked to anywhere you want it — such as by the Safari icon. Cheers! :)

• Bakari45
    Bakari45
    Community Member

Yeah, but what was wrong with that way you had it previously? It dropped down under the icon, and then you could move it you wanted to. Also, if I wanted to trigger a floating window, then I just used the shortcut. I appreciate the work you put into upgrading the app, but I just don't understand the purpose of the always floating window, that's also bigger than the previous version.

On positive note, I can also use a BetterTouchTool single click gesture to trigger the 1P shortcut for inserting login info. That works great, but it's when I have to use that mini window that it feels clumsy. Hope you guys change it back or enable an option for how the widow opens.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Yeah, but what was wrong with that way you had it previously? It dropped down under the icon, and then you could move it you wanted to.

@Bakari45: I don't think anyone is suggesting that the old way was "wrong". But given that most people use 1Password mini almost exclusively, especially with the browser, we recognized that it's important to enable more utility there.

Also, if I wanted to trigger a floating window, then I just used the shortcut. I appreciate the work you put into upgrading the app, but I just don't understand the purpose of the always floating window, that's also bigger than the previous version.

You should try editing. I almost never go back to the main window to do that anymore. And most often I don't want to, as I just need to make a small tweak, like adding a note or changing a URL. You can also open a floating "pop out" window using either the "boxes" icon, or by pressing ⌘ O -- you don't have to wait for a flyout to open first to open a pop out from there, like you did with the "anchor" in the past. Very handy.

On positive note, I can also use a BetterTouchTool single click gesture to trigger the 1P shortcut for inserting login info. That works great, but it's when I have to use that mini window that it feels clumsy. Hope you guys change it back or enable an option for how the widow opens.

Given that 1Password mini is more than just a menu bar or browser extension menu, I don't think we're going to be tethering it again. But it's something we'll continue to evaluate along with feedback from everyone else. Thanks for sharing your perspective!

• frankly
    frankly
    Community Member

I agree 100% with Bakari45 and I don't understand why brenty from 1Password is missing the concern he is raising. I have the same concern and you have provided answers that have nothing to do with the concern he raised. All of the things you are pointing out about the more capable 1Password mini are wonderful. However, they did not require removing the feature we love (the window being connected to the menu bar) in order to implement them.

Please answer the question. Why do we not have the option to connect the 1Password mini window to the menu bar icon?

Clicking a menu bar icon to have a completely disconnected window open is against the macOS HIG.

https://developer.apple.com/design/human-interface-guidelines/macos/extensions/menu-bar-extras

I have been using a Mac since 1988 and it makes me twitch every single time I click the menu bar icon and the place my mouse needs to go next is somewhere other than directly below the menu bar icon I just clicked.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Hey @frankly - I see you've posted this same reply in multiple threads. For convenience and ease of coordination, I've replied to just one of them, here.

This discussion has been closed.