Unable to use license file

DocSnyder
DocSnyder
Community Member

hi,
I was using 1Password 6 und just bought a license for upgrade to 7 and downloaded the license file. But I'm unable to use it, as 1Password 7 starts with this nag screen about purchasing options (see screenshot). When I close this, the whole app closes. When I selecting 1Password -> license I get this "read only" dialog (see screenshot), but I just can't click on "Add license" and drag&drop the license file also does not work.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

Did you actually buy a 1Password 7 licence? The old 1Password 6 licence won't work: you have to buy a new one. What happens if you click on Jetzt kaufen?

If you did buy a 1Password 7 licence 1Password 7 usually automatically saves that licence among your software licences.

Stephen

• DocSnyder
    DocSnyder
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

Sure I did buy a license, but I did this on another device. I can't click any of the buttons, they are just not clickable.

• @DocSnyder,

Can you try updating to 7.0.1? There was a bug in the initial version that resulted in the app quitting when the welcome window was closed.

Rudy

• Zampano
    Zampano
    Community Member

I'm having the same issue. I'm installing 7.0.1, but I can't add the license file.

• Zampano
    Zampano
    Community Member

Here is an addendum to my previous message. I'm trying to add a license on a second computer. After I close the welcome window, the app quits. I can't add the license.

• DocSnyder
    DocSnyder
    Community Member

@rudy
    Thanks for your post. I already did this (using the integrated update function), but this did not solve the issue.
    What actually is working was removing 1password completely and downloading the whole 7.0.1 setup from https://1password.com/downloads/ again.

@Zampano
    This should help you too I guess

• Zampano
    Zampano
    Community Member

I just tried removing 1Password 7, downloading it again, and installing. I got the same result. If I close the welcome screen, the app quits. So, with the welcome screen open, I click 1Password 7 > License... which opens a 1Password Registration window behind the welcome window. I have to move the welcome window to see that it is there. If I close the welcome screen, the app quits, but while it is open, I can't click on the Add License... button. I'm stuck!

• DocSnyder
    DocSnyder
    Community Member

@Zampano
    You're right, I did something else, but actually I don't remember anymore. I Think I clicked the "Subscribe" button on the nagscreen, and then it disappeared. Sorry!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Zampano & @DocSnyder,

So it probably won't help you at all but we have realised the first launch experience did forget about an entire scenario, that of the second device and we're hoping to have 7.0.2 soon. Sadly it probably won't help you much if you've already gone through all the pains but should you ever need to set up 1Password again at least it will be smoother next time. We did genuinely do lots of testing, and we're slapping ourselves for forgetting this one.

• Zampano
    Zampano
    Community Member

I just downloaded version 7.0.2 and I'm still getting the same behavior.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Zampano - I'm sorry for the continued trouble -- do you have iCloud running under the same account on both Macs? And do you have iCloud Keychain active on both? If so, you should be able to see the license in Keychain Access. You can check by typing com.agilebits into the Keychain Access search bar, and that should return all the 1Password-related items. Look for one called com.agilebits.onepassword.license -- do you see it? Also, on this second Mac, did/do you have previous 1Password data in 1Password 6? Or is this a completely new installation?

• Zampano
    Zampano
    Community Member

I am using a different iCloud account on each machine.

The problem is that I don't even get an opportunity to add the license file, not that I can't see it.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@zampano - OK, thanks for the clarification. What happens if you double-click the license file itself? Do you have that on your second Mac? If not:

• Open the original license email you received from FastSpring, which will have a copy of your license file.
    • Double click the license file to download the license into your Downloads folder.
    • Finally, double-click the license file in your Downloads folder to license 1Password 7.

Let me know if that works for you.

• Zampano
    Zampano
    Community Member

That worked! Thanks. I should have thought of that.

It still seems that 1Password 7 should let me click on the Add License button though...

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Zampano - glad to hear that worked for you! Let us know if you need anything else. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.