Mac app + 1Password X [requires a 1Password.com membership]

This discussion was created from comments split from: 1password X for 1password 7 standalone?.

Comments

• occamsrazor
    occamsrazor
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

It is not, however, possible to use 1Password X as a "standalone" app with local vaults, as it depends on 1Password.com to store the data since it is meant to function without the native apps.

Why is this? I really like 1Password X. But why cant it interact with the full 1P7 Mac app already on my computer. I feel if I want 1PX I'm being forced to use 1Password.com
    As an aside, why can't the "normal" browser extension operate "in" the password field (i.e. small icon at the right of the field that opens the password window) rather than being only in the browser menu bar?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@occamsrazor: 1Password X is built very specifically to run entirely in the browser so that it can be used in environments where a native app cannot: Linux, ChromeOS, restrictive corporate setups. That's our focus It may be that in the future some functionality can be shared, but that isn't possible today; and our priority with 1Password X is that people who can't use 1Password for Mac (or Windows) have a way to use 1Password in their browsers too. You can always use the version you paid for, and definitely check out the 1Password for Mac keyboard shortcut — ⌘ \ — for filling, as it's really quick and convenient. Cheers! :)

• occamsrazor
    occamsrazor
    Community Member

@occamsrazor: 1Password X is built very specifically to run entirely in the browser so that it can be used in environments where a native app cannot: Linux, ChromeOS, restrictive corporate setups. That's our focus It may be that in the future some functionality can be shared, but that isn't possible today; and our priority with 1Password X is that people who can't use 1Password for Mac (or Windows) have a way to use 1Password in their browsers too.

Thanks. Ok that's fair enough, although a shame.

You can always use the version you paid for, and definitely check out the 1Password for Mac keyboard shortcut — ⌘ \ — for filling, as it's really quick and convenient. Cheers! :)

Yes I know about the shortcut, but I'd like to see the "normal" browser extension can't operate the same as 1PX i.e in the password field. Is there any reason why it can't? Is this something that is likely to be added?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks. Ok that's fair enough, although a shame.

@occamsrazor: How so?

Yes I know about the shortcut, but I'd like to see the "normal" browser extension can't operate the same as 1PX i.e in the password field. Is there any reason why it can't? Is this something that is likely to be added?

It's a completely different extension. Maybe we'll rewrite the other as well and have it work that way in the future. Anything's possible I suppose. :)

This discussion has been closed.