1Password 7 compatibility with older versions of 1Password (e.g. 6, 5, 4 on macOS and iOS)

skippingrock
skippingrock
Community Member

Hello, something that is not clear on https://support.1password.com/upgrade-mac/ is after "upgrading" my vaults to 1P7, what will be my experience on other devices that cannot upgrade to 1P7.

I still maintain my Dropbox vaults for the reason of being able to have an accessible copy of essential passwords on my older devices (iPhone 3GS, Mac mini server running Tiger, etc.) for things like wifi passwords, AppleIDs, email, ISP, etc., etc.

I see mention of converting tags and other upgrading wizardry.

So in short, will my 1P7 Dropbox vaults still be fully accessible under my older 1Password versions (1P6, 1P5, 1P4)?

Thanks, and if you can confirm the compatibility or state the issues in the documentations and if their is compatibility issues, to warn users before they upgrade their vaults.

Cheers, @skippingrock.

1Password Version: 6, 5, 4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: 1P, Dropbox

Comments

• Holgerr
    Holgerr
    Community Member

Hi @skippingrock,
    during beta phase of 1Password7 I have installed 1P7 on one Mac and 1P6 on another Mac. The database synced without any problems across these versions (local sync via folder and via WLAN to my iPhone 1P7).
    AgileBits didn't change the database format in the last years, so it should work with 1P5 and 1P4 also, though an official comment on this matter would be helpful.

• skippingrock
    skippingrock
    Community Member

:) thanks @Holgerr

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

1Password 7 supports the OPVault format, which is also available in older versions of the Mac app (going back to 4) to some extent. We don't design around outdated versions, so I would encourage backing up in case there are bugs in earlier releases that we're not aware of. But it should work for the most part. But when you're talking about Mac OS X(?) Tiger and an iPhone 3GS, you definitely won't be able to use OPVault with either of those, as it did not exist until 2013.

This discussion has been closed.