"Check for Updates" actually updates by default in Ver 7

jtucker
jtucker
Community Member

I just now clicked the menu option to "Check for Updates" and without paying much attention to what it was doing. I started reading the Release Notes when I got suddenly hijacked by a dialog asking for my password to update some files.

Turns out the "Check for Updates" automatically starts the update. You can "Cancel" while it's downloading and then you get the normal options of "Skip", "Remind" and "Install".

Is that deliberate? I guess it's okay, but I usually prefer to read the release notes before installing. This adds a step you have to quickly cancel to get the choices.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• jtucker
    jtucker
    Community Member

Never mind, I just now saw the Preference to "Automatically install updates" while looking for something else. I don't remember that from earlier versions; they certainly never installed automatically.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Glad you figured it out, @jtucker. :+1:

Indeed, the "Automatically install updates" setting for Updates Preferences is new in 1Password 7. As you discovered and mentioned, having it turned on can make it challenging to read the Release Notes so there's still room for improvement with that combination. If you don't (fully) catch the Release Notes during automatically installation, choosing Help > Release Notes in the app menu opens the 1Password for Mac Release Notes page in your browser where they can be (re)read at a more leisurely pace. :smile:

ref: apple-1122

This discussion has been closed.